My 1997 Pontiac Trans Am has a overheating problem. I was told the gaskets needed replacing. replaced them and it still over heats. replaced engine and still overheats. what do i do now?

Devell Jackson

Asked by Jun 13, 2014 at 06:15 PM

I recently purchased A 1997 Trans Am. It has had overheating issues from day one. I was told by the auto shop that it needs new head gaskets. I got the heads mechined & replaced gaskets. car still overheated. after that, the shop said the block must be cracked. I got a whole new engine installed, the car still overheated. the fans would not come on when they were supposed to. they said they couldn't communicate with the computer. The engine that replaced the old one was from a 1996 camaro Z28. They were both LT1 V8 engines. the only difference was the second engine had a oil cooling feature. My mechanic used the harness from the old engine and the computer from the new one. Is that ok?

Has the radiator ever been checked?

Norm Davis

Either you got another overheating engine (unlikely) or one of the components that stayed with the car is at fault. "Astre" is right about the radiator. Also, exhaust restriction, bad Cat, heater core, blocked exhaust manifold, stuck exhaust heat riser, blocked or collapsed hoses, super rich fuel, wrong plugs, wrong timing, it goes on from there. It's okay to use the harness from the 97 with the 98 engine, but has anyone actually run all the codes down and made sure everything is communicating?

Devell Jackson

The shop I took it to said that they could not communicate with the computer to see if it was sending the signal to the fans when to come on (high or low). The fans are temporairly hot wired to come on high as soon as the car is turned on. they say that i won't pass emissions with the car this way. I need to take the emissions test at the end of the month. I am not very mechanically inclined so I have been paying a lot of cash to different shops & people. I really like this car, always have since I was a teenager, I'm 54 now, but I cant afford to keep dishing out money to people that cannot fix the problem or know what the problem is. Now, every time I drive the car I have to make sure the radiator is filled before I drive it. There is no antifreeze leaking under the car but after I drive it i have to top off the radiator with fluid to keep the car from overheating. I do not have antifreeze in my oil or vise versa. Does this mean the gaskets are blown again? I have replaced the radiator, water pump, starter & now the engine and it's still overheating. what should I do?