I have 86 trans am new 383 stroker installed ever since the job was I have charging issues new battery and new alternator but won't charge the gauge spiked all the way to 18 volts I smelled something in car now it won't charge battery what do I do

Asked by Dec 09, 2012 at 09:45 PM

It was a rebuilt alternator the shop that
rebuild it says my car is frying the alternator

40

I would start with the voltage regulator or maybe make sure you dont have a wire crossed somewhere.

75

The voltage regulator is built into the alternator. It is defective and maybe burned out shorted causing the smell. Replace the alternator with a reputable remanufactured one and you'll be fine.