Merc-O-Matic transmission

Asked by Aug 01, 2010 at 12:02 AM

I have a 1957 Mercury Montclair.  It originally called for Type A transmission fluid.  I think Ford changed to Type F in the early 60s.  Can anyone tell me what currently used transmission fluid would be best for this car?
thanks

525

Cofloater, The BEST fluid for you to use is Type A (No matter what anyone tells you). Type A is still available, it's not stocked on the shelfs of auto parts stores because demand for it is low....Just ASK around, and get them to order you some. The evolution of Transmission fluid has EVERYTHING to do with the evolution of friction materials and seals. If your transmission is "As Original", it needs type A fluid to live a long productive life. I own a 53 Crestline Victoria (Ford-O-Matic Trans)...The previous owner all but ruined the trans by useing Type F fluid in it, causing me more work than was needed....All could have been prevented by just useing Type A. Food for thought.... Riff

Best Answer