I have a 1987 Ford F250 XLT Lariat with a 460 motor. It shuts off after idling for about 10 minutes and after being driven for awhile. I've replaced the coil, cap and rotor, plug wires, and sparkPlugs

Asked by May 25, 2014 at 09:06 PM

I've also tried to replace the control
module (twice) and each time, the
truck wouldn't even turn over. I made
sure the were the right ones. As soon
as I put the old one on, it worked just
fine. I just can't keep it going.

78,225

Have you ever replaced the distributor stator?

It looks just fine

78,225

That's just it, it might look good until it warms up then it goes open and it dies. You could ohm it out then run it till failure then reohm it to find out if that is it.

21,805

There is a little known component to your fuel pump and ignition system that will prevent the engine from running for very long. At the very rear of your intake manifold, there will be 2 oil Pressure Switches/Senders. One is for the Oil Pressure Indicator on the dash and the other is a low oil pressure safety switch. The idea of the switch is to stop fuel and ignition to an engine that has insufficient oil pressure - a common feature on Industrial Ford engines. I'm willing to bet that either you have: low oil pressure - the switch leaks - or it simply doesn't work properly any more. You can bypass it with a shunt and drive the truck a while to see if it happens anymore. I have an '87 F-20 4x4 with a 460. I've also been a Ford Tech since 1987.

5

I have the same truck and am havin ignition problems ive changed ignitions twice yet when I start the trck I have to hold the key at the on position for the truck to continue running any ideas also which fuse in it runs trough the ignitions