Engine swap possibilities

5

Asked by Mar 20, 2013 at 04:42 PM

I have a 1990 Bronco 2 I inherited from my grandfather, it has sentimental value and as much as i love
the car, i would like to replace the engine with something bigger with more power, what engine should i
get? I'm only 17 and I have a $1400 budget.

263,875

Are you doing the work yourself? Because $1400 isn't much to work with.

5

Yeah, my uncle will be helping me on it.

105,325

There some kits that will help you install a 302 in the place of the V6 just go online and you will find them, it will take some work.

1,365

You didn't mention size of existing engine. Two good v6 choices are the 4.0 & 4.0 SOHC. The SOHC has almost the same power as a 302, but if you get newer wrecked Ranger, its a direct bolt in.

8,985

I was going to suggest the 4.0 V-6 OHC, which is a super reliable engine. take the transmission from the donor truck too. It was available in the newer Explorer, Explorer Sport, Ranger and Mazda B-4000. The OHV version is also great, and possibly more readily available at a lower price. Your best bet is to buy the entire vehicle as a donor, so you get the wiring, computer, transmission, engine mounts, and the rest.