My 2008 hyundai elantra makes a loud screeching noise, but only when I make a right turn. It doesn't do it every time I turn right, but when it does, it will stop as soon as I straighten the wheels

Asked by Aug 05, 2015 at 10:32 AM

Do you think you can help me?

22,625

It could be low fluid in the power steering unit or the accessory drive belt itself could be bad or slipping when you turn the wheel and put a load on the system.

Best Answer

It's a manuel. Does that make a difference?

22,625

No, I would check the two things I listed above first and go from there. The fluid is cheap and easy to check. Then you can visually inspect the belt with the car off, by checking for cracks or missing pieces. Also with the car running and in park turn the wheel to right full lock and see if it makes the sound. If it does you can open the hood and try to pin point the sound. Since your car is an 08 if the drive belt / belts have not been replaced it might be time to anyways.

There isn't anywhere to check the power steering fluid on this car. Is that normal? It seems crazy?

22,625

Your not crazy, it has electronic steering control. However there is a recall on this unit, I would contact your local dealer to see if your car is included in the recall.