When motor is replaced should front end alignment be done? Does mechanic adjust steering?

Asked by Aug 27, 2014 at 12:05 AM

I have a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe with
38,000 miles on it. On 7/5/14 I had it
towed to dealership because it
stopped running and wouldn't crank.
The dealership said they found metal
shavings and I had thrown a rod and
needed a new motor. At first they
tried to say it was my fault because
this wouldn't have happened with so
few miles if I had been changing my
oil properly. I was able to show proof
of all the oil changes then they said it
was because the turbo
booster/charger had broken apart
and gotten into the motor. The
dealership agreed to pay for a rental
car. The rental car agency told me
they had put out 9 rental cars in less
than 2 months for this same
dealership all to Santa Fe owners. I
did research on the Internet and saw
many complaints from Santa Fe
owners that have this same problem.
I confronted the service writer at the
dealership and he admitted this has
been a problem but the engineers
have redesigned the turbo boosters
for new motor. The motor and turbo
booster came in and dealership said
the booster was defective, 2nd
booster came in and dealership said
it was warped, 3rd booster came in
and they put it on. 7 weeks after it
quit working I picked up my Santa
Fe. Less than 2 hours later I returned
it to the dealership because it was
blowing oil out the back and had a
bad oil leak. Another 3 days they call
and tell me they hadn't tightened
bolts and this was just mechanics
error. Now my steering is much
tighter than it was before I had it
towed to the dealership and car
doesn't seem to ride as smooth/drifts
to one side. My husband seems to
think it needs a front end alignment
(which it didn't need before the
dealership got it). I have checked the
tire pressure and that is not the
problem nor are my tires worn. I no
longer have much confidence in the
dealerships honestly or abilities.
When the motor is replaced does this
affect the steering, steering wheel or
alignment in anyway?

58,325

It could have been caused by towing it,but the mechanic did have to remove,tie rod,s and axel,s from the front end to do the replacement,and probably,did not line the car back up,take it back and make them line it up,

56,595

Did you buy this vehicle brand new? With this many miles on it I'm assuming they're highway miles. Contrary to what the dealer said, this vehicle has high mileage. Highway miles are easier on a vehicle and require LESS frequent oil changes! Read your warranty booklet and maintenance schedule. I'd also recommend that you talk to your attorney. Sounds to me like the dealer is trying to weasel out on a large warranty claim! I don't believe this vehicle will ever be right again. You deserve to be compensated so you can replace this lemon! HTH. -Jim

19,625

if the factory can't put the thing together correctly, why would you expect some 2nd rate "mechanics" in a dealership to be able to put that car together? They can't- face it, you own a pile of junk- it was junk when it rolled off the assembly line, and now it is double junk because it has been butchered by a buncha bozos- What can you do? I don't know, just get rid of it for your own peace of mind-

58,325

Yes the way i see hyundai is,it is a want to be honda,that is really a kia,yugo,mix.

260

Yes it does sound like the tech is making mistakes that are continuously causing problems. Call 800-633-5151 and tell them your issues. This is the number for Hyundai Motor America and they are there for folks with issues like yourself. Your problem will be handled by Hyundai calling the service manager at that dealership causing him to need to make things right. If you are not satisfied with the dealership being allowed another attempt to fix the Hyundai then ask for a field engineer to take a look at your vehicle. Hyundai does not want negative publicity and will do what is ever necessary to avoid it. As far as an attorney, this will go to small claims and Hyundai almost always looses and will end up in a buy back. This is because you are 100% reasonable and the dealer has been unable to fix it. I know this from years if experience working for Hyundai. Good luck

Best Answer

Thanks for your input. T_S_T, it was towed on a flat bed so I know the towing didn't cause the problem. Js08016-it is a 2013 but I bought it with 4 miles on it in July 2012. It does have mostly highway miles on it. Jamnblues-this is my 2nd Hyundai Santa Fe, I was happy with Everything about the first one so I bought another one. No complaints with the vehicle itself. My complaints are with the dealership. Tim01--thank you for your advice. It was the most helpful. I love the car! I called 2 other Hyundai dealerships in my state and they tell me because the way it is made that the mechanic doesn't have to touch the tie rods, steering, etc. The dealership that replaced my motor did agree to do a free front end alignment since I informed them I didn't have much confidence in their abilities and said they would have it done at another Hyundai dealership of my choice. I am taking them up on their offer.