Clutch

Asked by Aug 02, 2010 at 09:21 AM

In general - after how many miles will my clutch need to be repaired or replaced? I am smelling something around the tires and I have been having trouble getting into first and reverse. Also I havw to crank it twice to get a full start or I turn the key twice then turn it fully to get it to crank up. What do you think that is all about? Thanks  

10,785

really a clutch's life span depends on the way you drive, ive seen clutches that get burned in a week because the persons learning to drive stick, but id say with some one whos been driving stick for a long time that you should get well over 100,000 miles out of the clutch. im not a huge brain about transmissions, but your issue getting into first and reverse sounds more like a problem with shift forks and what not, as a bad clutch would act some thing like an automatic transmission that slips. the starting issue your having sounds like a starter problem or a starter solenoid maybe or some thing along those lines. hope this helps.