I have Chevy 350 in my street rod. I started it and had no oil pressure, I checked engine oil level ok.i I thought that oil pump was bad, I replaced the oil pump, put new oil filter on (put filter on dry). Filled with 5 quarts of oil

Asked by Sep 20, 2016 at 10:53 PM

I then started engine and no oil pressure? Checked filter and it was full of oil,
so I know that it was pumping some oil. I pulled my distributor and borrowed
a shift tool that I put down distributor hole and would turn the oil pump. I put
a drill on the oil pump shaft and ran it for several minutes, but still no oil
pressure? I had not ever had any problems with oil pressure before. I am not
sure what to do next? The new oil pump, the new pink up tube was pressed
in at exactly the same angle as the one I replaced. The engine is a 350 that is
a 1970's era. Looking for suggestions.
Thank you

Did you pull the valve covers off to see if you are getting oil up to the rockers? if not you may have had some old gasket or sludge that was dislodged when pulled the intake sucked up into the oil pump pickup that passed the screen and is blocking the passages. check the pump to pan clearance it should be 1/4" to about 1/2"/. Is the oil gauge working correctly? is the oil pressure working correctly? Did you pull the oil pressure switch and install a gauge to see what the pressure is? OIL RETURN take the oil filter off, look up there, and you will see a fiber type spring loaded disc. If it's seated, and you can push it slightly, and it returns, it's good

Bob Beaman

As Joemom suggested screw a mechanical gauge to where the oil pressure sender resides and check the pressure or pull the valve cover to see if it is oiling the rocker arms. Also, did you put the oil pump driveshaft in under the distributor and is the oil pump driveshaft in good condition?

Bob Beaman

Also spinning the oil pump driveshaft with a drill or speed handle should move oil up to the rocker arms. Make sure you are turning it in the correct direction.