Wool missing an inspection plate cause my starter to keep missing the flywheel

Asked by Sep 26, 2015 at 08:03 PM

74,615

No... either the starter drive needs to be replaced, or the starter needs some shims.

I've boughten 3 new starters and shimmed them the starter would work 5 or 6 times then would start missing the flywheel again

74,615

How is the ring gear on the flex plate? May need to replace it.

Replaced it already

74,615

I'm stumped, I rebuilt starters at one time, Without being there to see how it is missing the ring gear, If I remember right, you would need to get the starter up higher, I think they make a special housing for this, you would have to go to a starter & alternator shop and tell them your problem. The only other thing I can think of without being there is if the flex plate is of the wrong dia. Its all I got!