Missing

Asked by Jul 11, 2016 at 02:20 AM about the 1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Silverado Extended Cab SB

I have a 97 Chevy k1500, it idles really
rough. Put it n gear and it shakes really bad.
Smell of gas sometimes while driving. While
going down the road it will have a dead miss
like u turned the key off. U can take it out of
gear and revv it up n it pour black smoke out
of pass side exhaust, lil out of driver side.
Has new cap, rotor, plugs, wires, pick up
coil. Don't have the money to just b
guessing parts. Drinks gas like crazy, only
getting about 6 to 8 mpg. Don't know what
else to do. Seems like when going down
road its sluggish but if u mash on it, it goes
but black smokes bad. The distributor were
cap goes on has a striped screw hole with
zip ties on it. Could that cause it to act that
bad. Also changed mass air flow.
Somebody please help. Bout to give up n its
all I got to drive.

Oh yea when u first start it n the morning its cranks a lil bit then starts. After about 30 second it dies but starts right up not doing it anymore the rest of day. Only on first start of day

I drove it a few miles earlier n noticed when it shifted to 2 it was a lil harder than normal. I don't know what else to do at this point. I've read some things u guys have put about sensors n vac leaks. The ole truck has 285000 on it but doesn't leak fluids or get hot. Seems like the motor is still kinda stout for all those miles. Just can't afford a distributor right now. I thought about going to hardware with my cap screw n getting 1 same size just a touch longer with a locking nut. Would that hold it tight enough to see if it will fix it? Motor seems quite with no noise. Going to get the codes from it n morning. Also when I turn a signal on my voltage meter jumps up n down with signal. Putting new cable ends on tom. Could alternator cause this much trouble

42,765

Securing the distributor cap like you describe would be fine. Ask at the parts store if there is a repair for this, I think there is. The cap like this could cause a miss. How are the spark plug wires? Having it scanned for codes is a good idea but I'm sure it would come up with a po300 to po308 code which is a misfire. Here are some other things to check...P0303 CHEVROLET - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected,,, Possible causes - Faulty spark plug 3 - Clogged or faulty fuel injector 3 - Faulty ignition coil 3 - Fuel injector 3 harness is open or shorted - Fuel injector 3 circuit poor electrical connection - Ignition coil 3 harness is open or shorted - Ignition coil 3 circuit poor electrical connection - Insufficient cylinder 3 compression - Incorrect fuel pressure - Intake air leak

Could be your injectors had the same problem.