i have a 1997 v6 camaro the security light is on preventing it to start i got a new key made and it didnt do shit is there a way to disarm it without towing it to the dealership

Asked by Dec 09, 2011 at 01:03 AM

65

Try unhooking the Battery for one Hour and then rehook and try i know it works on the cobalt

155

you might also have a wire broken on your ignition....in the steering colomn where your put you key it...i cant rember wat its called i had the same problem in my 94 v6 camaro...my broken wire was hidden very well so its going to be a little hard to find..

155

feel free to messege me on FB im more then willing to exlpain what i did to fix it...but its a little hard for the average person

5,085

If it's same as other gm's from around that year the reset for the security is to turn key until starter engages for a split second then leave it on for ten minutes (until the security light stops flashing) once it stops flashing turn off count to ten then start it and should work. if the light stops flashing and you start it and it shuts off again ist a problem in the wiring or the ecm.

15

I think theres a antilock on the radio that u have to disable

5,085

not sure what the radio has with his car not starting

135

My 97 V6 does the same thing with the security light Ive always wondered why all i do is wait for the light to go off and try again and most the time it will start or I just wait again

5

uuuu get a V8 engine and then your cool

165

Sometimes with GM vehicles if battery voltage is slightly off the security system sets itself. First step make sure the battery is fully charged. If it is the passkey system is most likely starting to go on the fritz. You can go and replace the ignition and get it reprogrammed or go the cheap route and purchase a bypass module for a remote start system for around $20 and install that to defeat the anti-theft system.

65

dad had a 1996 with the 3.8L, did the same thing. he traded it and the guy put in a new ignition module, as far as i know he is still driving it. some people on here are talking about PassKey, and they may be right as well, it will just take some diagnostic work to figure it out. sounds ignition related though, good luck.

75

i bet its the computer. it probably tripped and u wil have to contact chevy dealership to get a new computer for it. same thng happend to my 98 camaro and i had to get a new commputer

5

It happened on my firebird its a magnetic chip in the ignition... I bypassed the ignition completely I don't need a key to start it anymore.

525

its not a magnetic chip it is a resistor chip and there are 15 possibilities. it can be 1 of several things. ignition(which happened to my 95 formula last summer. i would get power to radio windows ect.) , the vats box went bad it is on the firewall behind dash towards center, or wiring. you eliminated the key as long as they gave you the right resistance key.

35

turn you r key to the on postion and leave it there for about 10 minutes it will reprogram your key

5,085

after the security light stops flashing usually arounf ten minutes.

20

I'm fixing a 97 camaro and just by bass the switch instead of messing with wires on switch he's right though normally that's wat happens on Chevy n GM cars so hopefully u get it ok

10

well the ignition coils and battery was taken out of my 98 camaro i put the coils and the battery back in and it won't start it won't even crank and idk wat to do

Sometimes ignition barrel doesnt contact chip in key so just measure chip in key with a volt meter set on ohms then buy a resister or more to add up to the value of the measurement + or - about 10 ohms & solder it between the 2 wires that come out below steering column then cut another key as spare since u won't need the chip in it anymore

Shut your pants and then try starting it