Rattling sound from timing chain

15

Asked by Mar 11, 2013 at 02:25 AM

I have a preowned Nissan Skyline
2001 engine vq25. The car is neat
hasnt reached 100000. The problem
is there is a rattling sound which
comes from the engine, my mechanic
told me the engine was tampered
with and mostly the issue has to do
with the timing belt, tensioner's or the
pump. Can the problem be sorted
out and what do i need to replace?

15

No need to be harsh there. The mechanic had taken the car for routine oil & filter change etc and i had asked him to assess the problem and provide a provisional diagnosis. His explanations made sense, it has a timing chain not belt so he said there could be a problem with the machanism which keeps the chain under tension. He hasnt gone into greater detail but i trust his works as he has a good track record with modern cars. Earlier another mechanic had also pointed out about the timing chain when he wanted to look at the engine and he heard the sound. What i wanted to know is if that's the case how big is the job, what needs to be changed for my car 'cause the engine looks complex.

99,165

Find out what other owners have experienced at www.skylineowners.com/forum and http://skylineownersusa.com/forums/index.php ---- I did find a interesting thread about a too tight belt that damaged a head. I'll have to find a real mechanic and have him explain it to me in simple terms.

105

I've had experienced something similar with my Maxima. Could be a vacuum problem throwing the timing way off.

15

Got a quotation from a nissan dealer, replacement of a timing chain, guides + labour will cost me an arm and a legÓźŹ. Im afraid of giving the job to a backyard mechanic lest he f**** my engine and i lose big time.