Dodge Durango SLT+ Overheated

Asked by Jul 04, 2016 at 12:57 PM

2002 Durango SLT+.  
Overheated and stalled on
hwy 2weeks ago. It had oil,
water. It was smoking from
motor. Towed home. Since
it will try to start now battery
is dead. What does it need

It will have to be inspected to see just what caused it to overheat/stall. It may have been the water pump, thermostat, radiator/cap, or worst case scenario blown head/intake gasket. The battery is likely another issue. Get it recharged then have the charging system checked out, most auto parts stores do this for free.

Do a compression test, see if all the cylinders have close to the same compression, if they don',t then at a minimum you will have to pull a head to see how much damage was done to the engine. If the compression is all fairly close then add just a little oil to each cylinder, put the plugs back in and with a fully charged battery see if it will fire up, you may still have some damage that may not show up right away, so be aware that you could experience blown headgaskets later on.