On newer cars the gap between the hood and fender is visible from the side. Older cars had the gap on the top, avoiding horizontal gaps visible from the side of the car.

Asked by Apr 30, 2016 at 06:33 PM

The old way looks much better from an aesthetic point of view. Vertical
gaps,between doors and fenders can't be avoided, but the extra horizontal
gaps do nothing for the appearance of a car. Also the Old School way was
for the front strut between the roof and the front fender tucked under the
fender, now, the bottom edge of the strut meets the fender at an angle,
also doesn't look as good as the old way.
t

10,610

there is a lot not to like about the new car designs. for the most part they all look alike. Wind tunnel technology and the constant requirement to meet fuel mileage specs has limited the design parameters. if you took the maker emblems off of all the cars, it would be really difficult to tell most of them one from another.