Rear brake calipers will not release after driving and applying brakes and my brakes are dragging.

Asked by Oct 05, 2015 at 02:53 AM

All of the brakes were dragging (4 wheel disk brakes) so I replaced all of the calipers and brake lines .The rear brakes are still dragging  so I adjusted the Ebrake. The rear brakes are still dragging

By the way it is a 1999 Honda Passport

33,415

Sounds like a bad proportion valve. If those go bad, it's typical for the rear brakes to lock or drag. http://www.ehow.com/list_7590141_symptoms-bad-proportional-valve.html

37,905

And, you say you replaced all break lines, does that include the rubber hoses? They can collapse internally restricting flow.

Yes I replaced only the rubber lines I really didnt see a reason to replace the hard lines. Over the weekend I replaced the proportioning valve and the master cylinder as well as adjusting the brake light switch. My brakes are still dragging. I think the only components I have not replaced are the ABS module and pump and the rotors which probably are in need of being changed but I am not about to replace them while the brakes are still dragging.

I am considering bypassing the ABS with just the rear lines , as a test before I replace yet another part.

33,415

Just a question, do you have the E-brake system that is a small set of shoes that push out and grab from the underside of the rear rotors like a drum? I had that on one of my old Cressidas and I believe my '99 Camry is set up like that also. If you do, there's your drag issue. It's the E-brake. I know you said that you adjusted the cable, but if those are shot, or haven't been used in awhile, they will drag. If you remove your rear rotors, you will find out that it's the shoes for the E-brake that are dragging. Sorry I never thought of it earlier. When you had said in your original post that you had adjusted the E-brake, I had forgotten about those shoes under the rotor.