I have an 07 avalanche with plenty of mileage 170k , my gauge reads roughly at 20 at idle , on the road hits 40 , sometimes drops below 20 at a stop , when parked ive also noticed my lifters start ticking after a while of running the motor , it also has the afm system in it , any ideas as to what may be going on or why my gauge doesnt stay at around 40 when idling ? , could my oil pump be going bad ?

60

Asked by Sep 26, 2015 at 06:07 AM

I have an 07 avalanche with plenty of mileage 170k , my gauge reads roughly at
20 at idle , on the road hits 40 , sometimes drops below 20 at a stop , when
parked ive also noticed my lifters start ticking after a while of running the motor
, it also has the afm system in it , any ideas as to what may be going on or why
my gauge doesnt stay at around 40 when idling ? , could my oil pump be going
bad ?

8,310

When you remove pressure sender, is there a screen in the engine? is that screen plugged? what is your oil pressure spec? How many pounds and at what rpm? after removal of that screen you could run a pressure test the way an engine builder does.

8,310

If your engine is sludged it will continue to repeat, you can get advice, screen and sender, as well as the latest desludging procedures they like at your GM parts counter. There are remedies but it's hi miles, inspections can be indicators for what its future would be, or repair, or replace is next for that engine. Tests and inspections in order and using service specs can show what you can decide. Historic oil pressure comparison gives a tech a perspective. seemingly the same engine, but how does the book show their expression of what you should have under what conditions on a technician's gauge ?

8,310

Gm has always sampled the oil gallery after the delivery is done rather than right off the pump. a tech takes that into acct because it indicates acceptable and unacceptable pressure losses through clearances etc. you can discuss more about it with a builder if you want the rest of the insight.