Why does my 2006 Subaru baha smoke after oil change

Asked by Aug 01, 2015 at 03:33 PM

Had oil in my 2006 subaru baha with aproxmatly 105000 miles on it went from synthetic
blend to full synthetic drove about 150 miles car was smoking severely especiajlly at
idle,oil level was less than add mark. Changed oil back to synthetic blend,car is smoking
much less but still smokes some of the time at idle occasionly sever more so when oil is
at full level. Car did not smoke or use oil before oil chsnge

14,205

Is it possible that you accidentally spilled some oil in your engine bay? Other than that, you could have a piston and ring problem. So, you never noticed any oil burning issues before you did the switch to synthetic? I don't think there's any issues going to synthetic oil and can't imagine how this would be a problem. 105,000 miles over 8 years is perfectly normal and acceptable number of miles on your car. Your not using dino oil, are you? I imagine that you had your timing belt, water pump and other belts changed recently. Did you purchase this car new? How's everything else and has it been an easy to maintain vehicle?

Purchased car used 2 1/2 months ago put about 5000 miles on it . It seemed run fine did not smoke or use oil still seems to run fine but smokes part of the time at idle ,using some.oil now with synthetic blend,but not as bad as with full synthetic oil change. This has all happen in the last 5 days

14,205

1956chevy- OK, I see. Did not change the timing belt, water pump and other belts? Or, do you have direct knowledge that they were changed recently? This is really important. If your timing belt is compromised or if the water pump seized and stopped your timing belt, you would damage your engine valves and need an expensive engine overhaul. You don't want to do that. Right now, that's more of an urgent matter than an oil leak, if that hasn't been done. You cannot wait on this, it's too risky. A lot of people sell their cars just before the timing belt service because it's expensive labor, but, worth the money. After that's done, you'll have another 80,000 to 100,000 miles before looking at that again. And, it's not just mileage, but time. The rubber belts deteriorate in weather and need to be examined carefully every 7 years or so. Yours would really be overdue for this, but, as I said a lot of people try and stretch this out and dump their cars on an unsuspecting person. I hope that didn't happen to you. Let me know what you find out and have that belt checked. You'll be glad I alerted you to this.

14,205

Sorry for the typos in the first sentence, tablet corrected my word. Should have been, did you change the timing belt, which pump, etc?

14,205

Did you find out what's wrong? What about your timing belt?