Why does my car have white smoke?

10

Asked by Sep 27, 2015 at 05:49 AM about the 1994 Acura Legend

Hello guys, I have an acura legend 94'
le. And one evening (around 3pm ) i
started my car for work and it had a
jolt and a bunch of white smoke kept
coming from the exhaust. i had an
overheating problem 2 months ago
but after that it never troubled me till 2
months later (present time). I started
up my car, it jolted, then a bunch of
white smoke came out and i let it
warm up for 10 mins and same thing
white smoke. I also smelled a sweet
flavor coming from.somewhere i do
not know and was wondering what the
problem is. My oil is still in good
shape. Starts weirdly after the white
smoke and im scared to drive it
anywhere. I was hoping it isnt a blown
head gasket and i want to.explore
my.options beford i conclude it is
blown..if you guys have any questions
and/or answers or.knows a mechanic
that can help. Id appreciate it a lot.
Thanks, Please feel free to comment

108,115

Here is a good read on the subject, but after reading your post it sounds like you have a blown head gasket. http://www.autoguide.com/auto- news/2015/04/what-does-the-smoke-from-my- exhaust-mean-.html

73,065

I agree, and your car probably has aluminum heads so when she got hot on you the head, heads are done, warped, not just a head gasket but the heads would have to be machined flat again, and checked for cracks. Now ONLY a suggestion, this happened to me on a different type vehicle with aluminum heads, I put Bars Leak into the coolant system and it worked, stopped the coolant leak into the cylinders.

21,145

Liz, I noticed you wrote in July about this and said your car was a 95 Acura, same car, I imagine, just a typo? Anyway, last I read, you got an exchange engine? This is NOT a good idea. Why? You never know what you are getting. I've had lots of cars and overheating is a terrible problem. Some people may disagree, in fact that happens frequently on this forum, but, if you really want to keep this car, forget about "quick fixes-additives " and get the head gaskets repaired professionally. I had a 1995 Honda Accord EX, great car, and I know how great the mid 90s Hondas and Acura models are. If your car is in immaculate and beautiful condition, it's worth saving, but, if it's thrashed, it's better to just reinvest in a newer vehicle. Fix it right or skip it. Good luck.

21,145

Take your car to an independent mechanic who has been referred to you by friends or find out how long they have been in business.

50,765

Head Gasket, cracked head or cracked engine block is most likely the cause. Take it to a trusted mechanic.

21,145

Liz, I suppose it could be any one of these things recently mentioned, but, if it's a cracked engine block, I would get rid of this car. Do not purchase an exchange engine, you have no idea what kind of condition it's in.