revving engine

Asked by Feb 11, 2015 at 06:26 AM

My neighbours son, a learner driver, revs up his engine (high low high low etc, etc) for
about ten minutes on a regular basis. His reason for doing so, when asked, is because it
has stood for a week which I would dispute . Is this a good idea or, as I think, more
harmful than good.

54,515

Reving a cold engine just wears it out quicker as parts are not up to operating temperature. No need to rev it.

Thanks for reply. Would there be any value in revving the engine, high and low, if it hadn't been run in a week, if say it had been allowed to warm up first. Would a tick over be enough or is there no benefit from either.

54,515

Starting it and letting it get to full operating temperature would be best in my opinion.

71,655

No advantage at all. A common myth is that the engine needs to be "blown out" after sitting. This is simply not true. Ask him where he got his info from. Probably another, well meaning, buddy who is also still learning. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful