Over revving?

Asked by Apr 25, 2016 at 08:52 AM

I am a new driver so could be over cautious but I am driving a 65 plate 1.2 Fiat Panda Pop and only really use the motorway for work. It seems as though when I am getting to around 70mph my revs are up to around 4500 - is this too high or about right for my size of engine?

83,665

Normally it should be at about 3,500 to 3,200 RPM's your about 1,000 on the high side. You may need to adjust throttle cable...

19,725

This is normal- the engine is a 1200 cc engine- correct? this is the same size as a motorcycle engine- Fiat has geared its cars low because you want to have some acceleration at low speeds- if you want to go 70 and above, get a BMW 7 series-

78,375

It is only designed for short bursts at those engine speeds, sustained speeds as that will dramatically reduce engine life. That is basically a city car, not meant for the expressway. I suggest you read the owners manual, it will tell you almost all the information you need about engine rpms, gearing etc.