I just bought this 1991 toyota tercel 4speed, when I start the car it makes thes griding sound as you release the ignition key. Could that be a starter or is it the ignition switch

35

Asked by Sep 24, 2014 at 08:17 PM

When I start the car it makes this rough sound, almost like if you start the car when the
car is already started. I'm think its the starter. Its 4 speed I just changed the axil on the
car but it was doing form the time I bought it witch was 2 weeks ago

Please know that diagnosing a car problem without hearing or driving it is almost like a shot in the dark. But it sounds like the BENDIX on the starter is stuck. The Bendix engages the flywheel when you turn the key. Then once the engine starts it is SUPPOSE TO disengage the flywheel.. If this is what is happening you could very well be damaging the teeth on the flywheel.