I just inherited a 95 Dodge Stealth four speed. Most of the time it starts, but every once in a while, when the key is turned it does not start. I hear a click. Nothing. Do this four times, sometimes less, and it starts. I had battery, starter and Distributor cap checked out at Advance. Any ideas what it could be? I am a girl so don't laugh. Is there a way to check out the ignition switch or anything else it could be? Thanks in advance.....

Asked by May 20, 2015 at 09:23 AM about the 1995 Dodge Stealth 2 Dr STD Hatchback

Most of the time it starts, but every once in a while, when the key is turned it does not start.  I hear a click.  Nothing.  Do this four times, sometimes less, and it starts.  I had battery, starter and Distributor cap checked out at Advance.  Any ideas what it could be?  I am a girl so don't laugh.  Is there a way to check out the ignition switch or anything else it could be?  Thanks in advance.....

9,590

Starter needs refurbished with new L-shaped contacts. Remove the starter and continue bench testing. it is likely you will find they are beat down and making intermittent connection inside the end cover. They ell them at your chrysler plymouth, dodge parts counter for about $20

9,590

You need someone who knows how to remove, test and repair a starter. compare that to a remanufactured and/or lifetime part and make choice.

Thanks guys. On my way to see if that is it. Jackie

Also, when I turn my wheel to the left or the right, it squeals? Is that a timing belt? Thanks again.

9,590

Does your car have power steering? Is the steering belt the same belt for all the accessories the engine has? If that is true, then when the pump does work, the belt may have an issue with fit, adjustments or automatic tensioner. Even an idler pulley can make noise if you stress it out. If you are at the parts store, they could look with you and advise. Having a car 20 years old means the parts in use could be the cause and your dodge parts are no longer in use? Finding the sound and inspecting around it can lead you to the next question you may have. A length of hose is a good locator for sounds and keeps your hands, clothing or hair out of the belt drive.

9,590

The click you get when you actuate the key tells you the switching produces action of a relay, then it is up to the wires, connections and then the contacts in the starter. The person who does the repair needs to inspect and verify at each point starting from the component and working back to the power source. sometimes tapping the starter can help get it going when it wont start and the issue can also be loose, or dirt, or voltage drop of the cable over its length. The contact parts inside the starter can change their relationship when you make several attempts. hope it is that simple and cost is minimized. your next starter, if you replace it may be likely to act up sooner than your OEM part after maintenance. So get a lifetime part, or get the dodge advice if longevity is your focus.

9,590

Had to fix a starter today, myself. It had similar internal contact and engagement issues. The mexi rebuild had a crack, and the defect warranty replacement had engagement issues. man o man, it kept tryin then rump rump. I had to make one out of three. if you can fix yours with two L shaped pieces of copper that each have a hole drilled through for $20 bucks and some labor? Look at all the time and trouble you side step..... v vrrrroom she says , now.

9,590

The windings that cause the metal hinge bar to actuate the gear out have a pull in winding and a hold in winding. I think my hold in winding had an open circuit on the "defective" part. swapparooney. bob's your uncle. had to lay on the ground because my back went out, but put them all together and returned the unused beans and salsa for some lettuce.

Okay, now a new light came on the 95 Dodge Stealth. It is on the speed odometer all the way to the right and to the bottom. It looks like a red circus tent with an oblong shape, seven tiny windows and a flag pole without the flag, sitting on top in the middle. Any ideas what that light is? thanks again.

9,590

You can select your function or warning indicator if you google...vehicle function and warning indicators 95 stealth. See if yours is there...