I have a 98 olds 88 with a blown engine, peeling paint, with 167,000 miles. but fairly new tires. Do I replace engine, scrap it, trade it or try to sale?

Asked by Jul 27, 2014 at 03:17 PM

Just trying to decide what route to take. Car has great ride, comfortable seats and was serving us great until this happened. having tough time deciding to put in engine or get something newer.

237,935

Problem is, the car is worth $1200 wholesale with a working engine, so it's literally worthless to someone else. So do you want to spend a few grand to put another engine in? IMO, You would have to hope you get a least 3 years out of it. Up to you want you want to do and roll the dice that nothing else happens. A newer used car can cost you just the same. I'd be more concerned if the Olds had rust, if it does I'd scrap it.

185

Only spend money on it if you really love the car. It would not give a good return on investment unless you can maintain it until it has antique value.