How much should a first car cost?

Asked by Jun 14, 2014 at 11:34 PM

I am a new driver (17years old) and I need to know how much so i can budget. I don't want a nice, expensive car for my first car because i may be afraid to wreck it, but, I don't want to have a crappy old sedan that looks embarassing to drive around!
Thanks,
Your Fellow Driver

45

If you dont want an expensive vehicle, then you need to low ball it. meaning you might want to get a car thats between 2,500 and 3,500. look around and try to find a vehicle that YOU like. the out side and inside can be worked on later on. just make sure that all running components work properly. compare a couple of cars before you make a final decision.

2,035

Besure buget for car insurance to. It can be very expensive for young drivers.

232,125

All good points as stated above. For cost, safety and insurance, a domestic 4dr sedan or wagon is best. Toyota Camry would be another option, go for the S version if you want style.

21,745

What a smart young lady- yes, chances are you'll wreck it- hopefully just a fender-bender- for a young, first time driver, understand that you are just learning the car game- and it is complicated- and it will take you time to figure out what you like, anyway- it will not be like my experience when I graduated high school in 1967 and bought an Austin Healey 3000 for $800 to go to college- and gas was 19 cents- the best thing you could do is ask around your extended family to see if anybody has a car they don't need- and how much they might want- that way you get a first car that you know the repair history on- and have an idea of its reliability- understand that the purchase price is just the initial cost of a used car- the devil is in the repair bills-