I have a 1977 MGB with overdrive. I am replacing the gear shift knob but need to use a dye to straighten the threads. What size threads are on thegear shift?

10

Asked by Apr 06, 2014 at 11:04 AM

21,745

Ha! what a question! I needed a laugh today- Ok, Ok- it's prob'ly metric- by 1977 I doubt if it's Whitworth- find a nut that looks like the right size and try it- if you have a dye set, just screw one on- find one that fits- c'mon, man, I'm a Guru not a mystic- I defy any Guru here to have an answer to this one off the top of the head!

10

Thanks man. I'll try not to bother you again. Try to have a good day.

108,675

Some replacement gear shift knobs have rubber inserts to thread on your shifter. These may thread on without you having to worry so much about the threads. Some use plastic inserts tho. And in my opinion I would avoid using the knobs with plastic inserts. The plastic tends to break when installing the knob even if the threads are in perfect condition. Hope this helps

10

Thanks