I have a 1977 MGB with overdrive. I am replacing the gear shift knob but need to use a dye to straighten the threads. What size threads are on thegear shift?


Asked by Apr 06, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Question type: General

4 Answers


Ha! what a question! I needed a laugh today- Ok, Ok- it's prob'ly metric- by 1977 I doubt if it's Whitworth- find a nut that looks like the right size and try it- if you have a dye set, just screw one on- find one that fits- c'mon, man, I'm a Guru not a mystic- I defy any Guru here to have an answer to this one off the top of the head!


Thanks man. I'll try not to bother you again. Try to have a good day.


Some replacement gear shift knobs have rubber inserts to thread on your shifter. These may thread on without you having to worry so much about the threads. Some use plastic inserts tho. And in my opinion I would avoid using the knobs with plastic inserts. The plastic tends to break when installing the knob even if the threads are in perfect condition. Hope this helps



Your Answer

Add photo

Related Questions


Search General Questions

UK Questions

Are you a UK consumer? CarGurus now has a discussion forum in the UK.

General Experts

#1 Tom Demyan
Tom Demyan
Reputation 42,540
Reputation 35,810
#3 FordNut
Reputation 29,550
View All