03 ford focus stuck in park and no brake lights replaced brake switch still no luck?

Asked by Feb 01, 2014 at 02:07 AM

36,745

Your brake/shift interlock solenoid is bad. To get it out of park, there should be a tiny panel access next to your shifter. Pry it open with a screw driver. Then put screwdriver in the hole and depress the little button inside. That should get your car to move. You will have to do this every time until you get a new solenoid.

Reelin68, can you share how to fix it? I have the same issue and I'm tired of having to press the button each time. I'm selling the car and would like to have that fixed before doing so.

36,745

Check out this link. You will have to remove the plastic around your shiftl lever and get underneath it. There is a schematic on page 2. You will have to buy a new shift lock solenoid and replace it............................... http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h18.pdf

Thanks for your reply!! I see this is listed for Toyota, I assume it's the same deal for Fords. Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

36,745

No problem. Here's a video that should give you a pretty good idea of what to do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owe0sUzPJdE