Suzuki SX4 Stuck in park no brake lights.

Asked by May 20, 2015 at 08:30 AM about the 2008 Suzuki SX4 Crossover AWD

My 2008 Suzuki SX4 is stuck in park (i can run vehicle by using the release next to shift
lever), has no brake lights or tail lights and the instrument lights flash when using the
turn signals.  Problem appeared without other symptoms or warnings.  I'm stumped

You need brake lights for the park release to operate, as you have other problems also start by checking for blown fuses, consult the owners manual, if they all check good then you will have to dive into the wiring, pay close attention to grounds on these rigs, a feedback can cause some strange happenings due to a bad ground. I think you are going to find the park release will be power related and the dash problem a bad ground. HTH

Thanks for the tips. I will check all of this first chance and post what I find. I like the car relatively well, but don't want a money pit either. I was able to find a report online where an owner had same symptoms as me and his brake light wiring had fused together somehow. Ugh. Thank u!

I did find one blown fuse so far. Have fuses ordered. Will keep updating as I troubleshoot further. Usually there is a reason a fuse goes on anything. Ugh

Right, as the fuses are quick blows it can be a daunting task finding shorts, find out what is on the blown fuse circuit and physically check those componets and the wiring going to them.

More info. I finally had time today to check fuses. The 15A "Door Lock" fuse was blown and the 10A Brake Light fuse was blown. I replaced both and everything worked... until I started the vehicle then it blew the fuses. I replaced both of them again everything worked again until I pressed the electric lock button. It blew both of them again.

Ok so you have found the there is a short in the door lock circuit, replace the fuse and see if it blows when you lock the doors using the other door switch, if it does then it is in one or more of the door wiring, if it doesn't then the problem is in the first door that blew the fuse, a good place to look is in the door tunnel tube, there is a lot of stress on the wiring due to the opening and closing of the door. HTH

I will do that as soon as I get time. :) Thank you again. I will keep posted as I progress. And this might help someone else too. I read where someone with this same problem ended up with a fire in their brake light. But I have a sneaky suspicion that they replaced the fuses with ones that were higher rated than what was supposed to be in there.

I have seen melted brake/tail light sockets but never one that caught on fire yet, but with the quality of the sockets getting poorer and wires getting smaller i'm sure that I will someday soon. Good luck in the search, hope you find it with ease.

I had the same problem and the stop fuse (10 a) was the problem. After replacing it the shift worked ok. ThanksĀ”

I want to thank those of you who replied and helped... I finally ended up taking the SX4 North American to an import repair shop. I felt like a fool when they called to tell me what was wrong... I purchased this from someone who had a trailer hitch installed (I bet you already know what I'm going to say)... the hitch lighting coupler was wired into the rear left break light... wires had rubbed underneath somewhere. Shop cut the wires out and taped everything up... everything works again like brand new. Thanks again everyone!