Why is my 2004 EXT LT trailblazer burning too much gas.

Asked by Jan 13, 2014 at 02:32 PM

I have noticed that over the past few months the blazer has been getting less and less
mpgs. There are no codes and if has passed the required emissions test in my state. It
does not run bad. It idles really well and there is no signs of why it is burning more gas.

40

Hello, How much of a change in MPG? Have you been experiencing bitter cold temps or seasonally cool temps (winter)? This can cause your MPG to drop especially if you drive shorter distances. It takes more fuel for a cold engine to run than a warm one & your engine management system works at peak performance after the oxygen sensors (in the exhaust) have reached temp....

237,545

Also with the cold air, your tires pressure will drop at least 5psi or more. Make sure to check them, they might be low.

19,425

Your spark plugs need changed. Once they get a larger gap it takes more gas to fire the cylinder. Dirty air filter and tire pressure will cause it too.

This has been going on since it was warm out. Tire pressure is fine. It is not that cold here. My spark plugs were checked and they are fine. A complete OEM diagnostics has been run and nothing can be determined that could be causing the drastic fuel consumption. It is getting around 11 to 12 mpg compared to 16+ in the city. Road driving hasn't changed that much.

40

Do you have 'check engine' or 'tailpipe' emissions testing in your state?

40

Also how long are you driving for and what are the air temps? Has low fuel economy persisted while experimenting with other fuel companies?

19,425

Winter gas. They put additives in it and it kills everyones fuel mileage.

50

I've been having the same issue. Dropped from 17 mpg to 10 mpg and I can't figure out why. No codes and no check engine light. Tire pressure is good. I've replaced the spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, and o2 censor. Tried running 6 tanks of non ethonol fuel too. Nothing seems to help. I'm at a complete loss as to why the milage took such a hit. And it's getting 10 mpg all year long..winter, spring, summer, fall.

20

2005 Trailblaser with the same problem, runs and idles fine but millage took a dump. I used to get over 300 miles a tank now I get less than 150 miles a tank? Someone has to know what is going on?

I see no answers here and this hasn't been helpful at all... I'm getting hardly 10 mpg... Can anyone explain what's going on? I had a friend that had a similar size SUV of another maker (Pacifica) experiencing the same horrible gas mileage everyone was thinking transmission, tune-up whatever; however, they vehicle showed a code for the catalytic converter during the complete computer diagnostic test … Sure enough order the item had it installed ..WHAM-O… problem solved.. Does anyone know what solves this problem for the 2003 Trail Blazer 4.2ltr? Please help a single mother three kids and things are not going well and need the help seriously.

I have Trailblazer LT 2004, I have the same gas problem, and I have no idea what to do with it !! can anyone help plz.