burning too much gas. how to fix?

65

Asked by Jun 16, 2013 at 10:45 AM

My 1991 toyota camry is burning too much gas. At first it was missing so I replaced the 4 spark plugs and distributor cap and wires, now it isn't missing and has power but it gives me about 8miles per gallon! I really need a solution

112,175

How long since air filter replaced?

If it's still got a vacuum advance mechanism would suspect it's lack of influence on performance~

112,175

Double check to in sure all plug wires are in correct order. I would also check timing. With age of your vehicle could be about time for timing chain/belt replacement.

you might just verify that the timing belt is in the correct position and the tensioner isn't too worn to affect performance~

112,175

http://autorepair.about.com/library/firing_orders/bl-fo-9549.htm

65

definatly not the timing. was recently replaced and set correctly. both fuel filter and air filter was replaced 2 months ago.

65

thanks for the link but it is firing correctly. can anyone tell me anything bout a sensor called mass air flow sensor?

the MAF is partially responsible for telling what to do with the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve-

Best Answer

A mass air flow sensor is used to find out the mass flowrate of air entering a fuel-injected internal combustion engine. The air mass information is necessary for the engine control unit (ECU) to balance and deliver the correct fuel mass to the engine. Air changes its density as it expands and contracts with temperature and pressure. In automotive applications, air density varies with the ambient temperature, altitude and the use of forced induction, which means that mass flow sensors are more appropriate than volumetric flow sensors for determining the quantity of intake air in each piston stroke. (See stoichiometry and ideal gas law.)

65

should that be replaced?

there's more...from WIKI. There are two common types of mass airflow sensors in use on automotive engines. These are the vane meter and the hot wire. Neither design employs technology that measures air mass directly. However, with additional sensors and inputs, an engine's electronic control unit can determine the mass flowrate of intake air. Both approaches are used almost exclusively on electronic fuel injection (EFI) engines. Both sensor designs output a 0.0–5.0 volt or a pulse-width modulation (PWM) signal that is proportional to the air mass flow rate, and both sensors have an intake air temperature (IAT) sensor incorporated into their housings. When a MAF is used in conjunction with an oxygen sensor, the engine's air/fuel ratio can be controlled very accurately. The MAF sensor provides the open-loop controller predicted air flow information (the measured air flow) to the ECU, and the oxygen sensor provides closed-loop feedback in order to make minor corrections to the predicted air mass. Also see MAP sensor.

You must get your diagnostic information from the car's memory~ any autoparts store will do this for free or you could buy your own OBD-II scanner...that would tell you whether or not to replace this delicate instrument...if it were clobbered with oil, carbon would simply spray it clean with bra-kleen and let it dry~

the EGR is a devlish little device which introduces exhaust gasses back into the intake...on deceleration and intentionally if the combustion temperatures are too hot~ when malfunctioning can really play hell on performance as well~...of course your OBD-II diagnostics would tell us should we fix it or leave it alone~

65

okay. thanks

2,405

the MAF is partially responsible for telling what to do with the EGR

I have the same problem with my 1991 toyota camry 4 cyl. please if you find the problem please share it thank you.