What do you guys think about a 66 Tbird 2 door hard top, auto trans, power steering and brakes, V8 (i think it's a 390) re-built engine has 62K miles, bucket seats with original black vinyl upholstery/console. Interior has minor issues overall looks good. The car def needs body work and a serious paint job. The owner is asking $5500. What are our thoughts?

Asked by Jul 20, 2013 at 03:33 PM

...well you have to be in LOVE with it, otherwise...like every oldie that I've brought around is a SINKWELL for cash~ do not buy it...buy something safer with good gas mileage....can hardly find something as fun to look at than one of these oldies...personally have a MINI as they are THE most fun to drive...ever~

What if I can get her down to $4500.00? You guys think I can possibly flip it for a profit? If I kept it it be just to cruise, no heavy lifting.

anything rubber will be degraded...this includes the Body to Chassis mounts...all brake lines and vacuum lines, oil seals...everything...is certain to keep you busy...get a sexy new one with low mileage~ the new Mustangs are alright (though no grab-handles...even darned old VW beetles had grab handles) found myself grabbing onto the bottom of the seat as there was nothing to grab onto thru the hairpin curves on hwy 29)...but a re-cycled look...they are cheap~

It will mean heartache...you basically have to BE in LOVE with this one...then the troubles begin~20,000 is a realistic sum from an auto restoration place (frame-off...yes important to tend to those body mounts)~

I've had a '59 Pontiac, '61 Cadillac, '61 Olds dynamic 88 (this one was a brain-fart as they retrofitted hardened seals so it would burn unleaded alright) paint-job okay, transmission a squish...'68 Mercedes 230S 76 Triumph Spitfire...loved them all...they all 'bout broke the bank~

66 is going to have the single cylinder drum brakes...maybe you'd want to have dual-cylinder disc brakes....probably does NOT have seatbelts...you are going to want those~ please let me put just a toe into the quicksand...will be real purdy~

test drive a MINI..though small outside is Cavernous inside...John Cooper is a 6'5" man so there's plenty of leg room...a Blast!...to drive~ BMW makes the things and are as far removed from the Japanese designs as I could imagine~

flip it for a profit..it's the American way.

only your driveway will be contaminated from all the leaking fluids...transmission oil, engine oil, power steering fluid.....brake fluid?...you have to be ready to top-em-off before selling...sell at a place not near where it parks~

247,055

Listen to the Judge....Guide value for the car you described is around $3-4K. You won't make a profit unless you sell to someone who doesn't know better. If you like it and want to fix it up and drive it on nice days, go for it. But don't expect to make money.

Best Answer