My 2000 Ford. Taurus has a rough idle even after I cleaned the thraudle body. The car has no miss otherwise.

Asked by Apr 09, 2013 at 10:52 AM

1,185

how many miles are on the car?

77,000

1,185

do the rpms fluctuate when the car is idling?

Best Answer Mark helpful

G for about 1 minute the idle is fine. Then the rpm's will drop and sometime s kills. I have to rev the motor to keep it running at a stop.

257,835

Check engine light on? Sounds like a vacuum leak. Clean your MAF, air filter clean?

Engine light is on. Filter is clean what is a MAF?

257,835

Ha, I knew it. I love how when the CEL comes on, drivers dismiss it as nothing. The engine light is on for a reason, get the codes scanned and it will pinpoint what your issue is instead of guessing. Report back what codes you come up with. Go to Autozone and they will read the codes for free. My bet is P0171 and P0174. A MAF is the Mass Air Sensor.

1,185

its the mass air flow sensor. same thing went on my 2002 taurus. my mechanic fixed it for me for 150$. once thats done your car should be fine.

1,185

and the MAF basically makes sure the ECU mixes the correct air/fuel mixture for the engine.

101,405

Get the codes read like Tom said to confirm the suspicions. The car has a system that tells you what has failed.