How do I adjust the handbrake on an 1991 honda accord?

Asked by Mar 17, 2013 at 05:19 PM

90,085

Raise the rear of the car and support it on both sides with jack stands. Pull the parking brake lever up one click. -- Remove the access cover at the rear of the center console. Use a small flat-head screwdriver to gently pry the cover off. Remove the screws with a Phillips screwdriver, that secure the center console. There are two screws on each side at the front and rear and two at the back of the console under the access panel. Slide the rear of the console upward, out of the way. -- Tighten the adjusting nut at the rear of the parking brake lever until the rear wheels have a slight amount of drag when turned. Lower the parking brake lever fully and turn the rear wheels. Ensure that they no longer have any drag when turned. Repeat until the cable is properly adjusted. -- Lower the center console into position and install the six screws. Replace the access cover. Lower the car off the jack stands.

20

It is important to adjust the rear brakes first, before adjusting the parking brake!