i have a 1995 pontiac grand prix.. just replaced the battery two days ago.. it was fine then i went to sart the car and t would not fire.. then had fuel running out into the air fiter box .... what may have happened /. please help....

10

Asked by Nov 12, 2012 at 10:36 AM

First and foremost be careful if FIRE if you have fuel in your air filter. Please** OK now when you say "would not fire' do you mean it will not crank over or will not start? If it will not crank, I first think alternator. But one thing at a time. Gas saturation of air filter, liquid fuel in the filter box, is a serious problem: I don't mean it is 'serious' as in difficult to fix, may be easy, but serious as in danger of fire. Please, again, be careful.OK? Are we talking about just a little bit of gas? Can you smell it when you open hood? Come on back papa, let us know

10

by fire I mean it will not start.. I would say after trying to start for 10 seconds i noticed aprox 1/2 cup of fuel on the ground just below the air filter .i removed the air filter box and fuel dripped from the air flow "tube" that goes to the top of the engine...

To state the obvious, not good: something is causing gas to flow from the intake back. Broken fuel line maybe. Give me a bit of time and I will look at some websites and see what I come up with...meantime maybe somebody else will have a better answer, do not try to start the car again. Any spark, from battery, ignition wires or open short and your car is a goner and hopefully you are nowhere near it

PS I keep going on and on about that because I have experienced a vehicle fire when just exactly what you describe--liquid gas on a air filter, on an old carbureted Chevy backfired and burned so badly my insurance had to pay to fix the street when it melted asphalt, not to mention the truck. This was a very long time ago but it still makes me scared when I recall it.