i have a chevy 454 with lot of oil pressure at the filter but no oil gettin up to the rockers.it has a new cam lifters and push rods any info would be greatful

75

Asked by Jun 20, 2012 at 06:54 PM

3,045

just a couple of questions to get started . first ,how long did you let it run ? did you smother the cam with molly break in grease ? did you pump up the lifters with oil using a squrt oil can before you installed them ? lastly , what was your lifter preload at the rocker (ie 1/2 turn past zero preload ) this of course assumes you have a hydraulic cam installed . Oh yes one more item , the rear cam bearing on '65 thru '67 big blocks has a groove in it did someone install the wrong bearing ? was this oil pressure with a drill and a priming shaft orwas it running ? if you used a drill and a priming shaft you must rotate the crank assembly while you are priming it to force feed the lifters to pump up .... OK ? PBN

3,045

PS - BIG BLOCK CHEVIES RULE , I LOVE THEM !!!!

75

everything was installed correctly engine runnin or primed still no oil to the rockers

75

it looses pressure at the cam oil journals

75

it also has a hi volume oil pump{new}

75

thanks for the info it was very helpful the problem is the cam bearings and the engine was done at a performance shop(sad eh)

3,045

YEA THE REAR CAM BEARINGFOR 65 THRU 67 BIG BLOCKS IS DIFFERENT , IT HAS A GROVE IN THE MIDDLE AND IT WON'T WORK ON LATER MOTORS ... YEA , MAKE SURE YOU MARK MY ANSWER AS HELPFULL OR BEST OR WHATEVER ....

3,045

by the way , the man who taught me to say big block chevies took an opportunity way back in 1985 to tell me everything he knew about them BBC's while I was assembling my first engine ever , A big block chevy .. at each critical point of assembly JiM DILLON told me EXACTLY what ,why ,how and the inbetween of big block chevy assembly . that particular engine went 250,000 miles , got 20 mpg , and .... ran 180 mph in a '75 monte carlo . yesss we lost the hood !

3,045

I THANK YOU JIMMY D !!!! FOR ALL THOSE TIMES AND THE ONES INBETWEEN ...