Horn doesn't chirp when locking doors with key fob.

Asked by Apr 29, 2013 at 01:30 PM about the Hyundai Elantra

When I hit lock twice like the owner's manual says I get no audio response.
My dealer says this is normal on some models I think not. What do you think?

21,495

most fobs can be programed either way. reprogram it if you think its worth the aggravation

these things can be changed with your settings---will pull up your instruction manual, but I think it's gonna be easier for you to get to it~

101,525

I think the dealer is right. The Elantra does not chirp the horn when locking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmB64KyOTHY

235

For car, I can set it to mute/unmute by pressing the lock and unlock buttons together. Although it doesn't chirp, it is more of an annoying honk.

21,495

some zap the horn, some have a chirp unit under hood on different cars

40

I have a 2012 Elantra, and it definitely honks when you press the fob a second time. The dealer is blowing smoke up your ass hoping you don't come in for warranty. Check Harsha's comment above about muting to see if there is an issue or if it's something simple.

125

On my daughter's 2012 Elantra Limited, an under-hood switched (circuit closed when hood is closed) can bend down (away from the hood) cause the circuit to remain open. The switch is located toward the right sideof the car near the radiator. Withthe hood open, try holding the switch closed and locking the car with the remote. If the car chirps you need to mend the switch bracket up a bit. I need to do it periodically on her car.

10

My horn doesn't chirp when it is below freezing. It works diring warmer months, but not in the cold?

20

Ok I have been driving myself crazy trying to fix it myself. Tried reprogramming,checked all sensors on doors and hood. All good. Checked alarm it was not working. I locked the car and tried to open each door from outside. My back door was not locking. Played with the latch locked it by hand. Used fob to lock all of the doors and it flashed and beeped. Alarm is working again. So can't use back door right now until I figure out how to fix latch. Wd40. I am so happy I don't have to go to the dealer. Feeling really smart right now lol

110

I have a 2013 Elantra Limited and everything works except for when I go to lock the doors using the remote. When I open the doors with the remote, the lights flash and it chirps, but when locking the doors, it doesn't chirp or flash the lights like it use to a week ago, but the doors still lock. WTF? I checked all of the sensors and tried muting/ unmuting with the remote and still nothing... it's driving me nuts!

15

Hey Titanium, the same happened to me except I have a 3 year old Accent. Changed the remote and will check to see what happens.

30

I have the same issue as titanium....it locks but doesnt chirp...anyone found a solution? Really dont wanna take it to the dealership.

I have the same issue as titanium. Did anyone figure out a solution?

110

Hi everyone, I figured out the problem but forgot to update this forum what I found and did to correct the issue. I found out that the hood close sensor wasn't being pushed down far enough when the hood is shut after wearing out over time, so I tested the sensor while the hood was open by pressing it down with my finger when locking the car with my remote and... it worked. So to resolve this, I bought a thicker door trim panel grommet that fit into the old hole in the hood and replaced the old grommet with the new thicker one. Now when my hood is shut, it pushes the hood sensor down just a little bit further than it did before and now engages the sensor, so when I lock my car using the remote everything works again. Quick and easy fix, but a permanent fix would obviously be to replace the hood sensor with a new one so it functions like normal without needing to be modified.

10

I tried the above but I didn't even have to test the sensor. Just push on the hood like you are closing it (mine moved about an inch) and try the button. It beeped! Would that mean this is a hood latch issue instead of a sensor issue?

this was very help full 105 itwork

10

@titanium, please what did you buy to replace the other grommet? Mine isn't making very good contact either, I have your exact same issue, I just need a bigger pad to push the hood switch, what did you use?

Thanks for all the insight. I had exactly the same issue. When arming using the remote the doors locked with no hazard flash. I tried setting off the alarm from inside while the alarm was seemingly armed and the siren did not activate. On the underside of the bonnet there is a hole which probably had a grommet (before I had the vehicle valet), this is just left of the adjustable rubber grommet which is actually an adjuster for the bonnet. I found a plastic grommet which fit the hole and protrudes enough to make contact with the contact switch. This worked out as the hazards flash now on arming and the siren triggered as well when I opened the door from inside while alarm is activated. Hope this helps.