Programming the H3 RKE

Asked by Dec 22, 2008 at 01:57 PM about the Hummer H3

Lost a set of keys, ordered a new RKE & blank key off Ebay. Got the key cut & it works perfect. Now I am trying to find instructions how to program the remote. I have done this numerous times on Ford products but can not find the instructions on line for my H3.

Can anyone help? If the answer is "See a dealer" I don't buy that. I've already been told there is a way to do it without going to the dealer as long as I have one original remote (and I do).

Thank you,
Paul from Huntsville AL

1,855

yes, you DO need to go to the dealer. You need a Tech2 (gm scan tool) to place the system into the programming mode. H3's do not have a way to do it with out using a GM scan tool. it's true that some other GM products do not require the scan tool.. I shoudl know, i'm a gm tech. the only thing that requires 1 original part is the chipped key that is in the 2008 h3 (as well as many other products from GM). for that you can just program a new key by using the original. the reason you need to go to the dealer is so that you don't program another fob and don't erase the old one - if someone found the old one, then they could "break" into your H3 and you would never know. just go to the dealer - if they charge you more than half an hour, your being ripped off. some dealers will do it for free if they are nice enough.

60

I am in the same situation likes you i loose my hummer 3 key i i order a key from GM whith a dongle k but impossible too start the engine if some can help me thanks yaro yaroydan@yahoo.fr

60

oh i see. but the problem is that we dont have a dealer close by, im in west Africa, ,my dealer in miami, i cant send the car back over there, it will be realy expensive to do that!! but if i go ther my self or if i send someboddy to the dealer; is that possible to find a solution? is it possible to just reprogram the key by using the vin number? another thing, my h3 is a 2008 version. i realy apreciate your help, being here make things a litle bit hard. best regards

50

If you have your manual it tells you in there how to reset the key fob I had to redo mine. If you dont have a manual and you havent figured it out by the time you get this send me an email and I will send you the instructions ttilson7@yahoo.com

375

I have the original H3 FOB and it works but the key chain part is broken. I've seen just the shells for sale on E Bay. Does anyone know how hard it is to take it apart and just change the shell?

4,225

u don't need to see a dealer. call them, give them ur VIN and then they'll tell u how to get it done. http://hummer-h3.org/h3-images/

20

contact gizzmo automotive in ghana, accra.

210

Instructions: 1 Climb into the vehicle and close the door. Insert the key into the ignition but do not turn on the vehicle. 2 Hold down the "Unlock" button on the driver's door while turning the key to the right to the "Accessories" position. Continue holding down the "Unlock" button. 3 Turn the ignition key back to the "Off" position while continuing to hold the "Unlock" button then return the key to the "On" position again. Then return the ignition key to the "Off" position. As you complete this sequence, the doors will lock, and the horn will sound, indicating that you've entered the programming mode. At this point, release the "Unlock" button on the driver's door. Remove key. 4 Push both the "Lock" and "Unlock" buttons on the key-less remote and hold them for roughly 15 seconds. Release the buttons when the locks click again. 5 Insert the key into the ignition and turn it to the "On" position. The horn will honk once more. This indicates the programming has been successful. 6 Remove the key from the ignition. Climb out of the vehicle and try locking and unlocking the doors with your remote key. I hope this helps

60

I'm going to try the instructions above when I get home from work today.. I will let everyone know the results.. Thank you soo much..

230

here is a document about programming Chevrolet key with gm tech2, i do not know whether it is the same as Hummer

230

http://blog.obd365.com/2015/01/29/how-to-program-chevrolet-cobalt-key- fob-with-gm-tech2-diagnostic-scanner/