Transmission leaking fluid

12,415

Asked by Feb 24, 2015 at 07:18 PM about the Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class

My wife parked her 2003 CLK 320 in the garage.  She was about 80 miles from our house visiting, and when she left their house, called and said the car was staying in third gear and not up-shifting.  I had her tap the gear selector to the right and it went to a higher gear. When she moved the car this morning, the garage floor was covered in trans fluid. The mechanic said the fluid that was still in the trans was clear, indicating no bands were burning.  The computer readings did not indicate any issues.  We had the transmission serviced three months ago. There are 23,000 miles on the 12 year old car.  The mechanic said it appears to have overheated.  He is back flushing the trans cooler, and will flush the entire trans again. It is not the torque convertor or seals or gaskets leaking.  Any ideas?  The transmission is and was not slipping prior to this.  As you can tell the car had not been driven much before we got it 6 months ago.

12,415

Also the fluid appears to have come from the front of the transmission.

415

You might want to check trans control under passenger side carpeting and locate box and see if you fluid in it.if wet you need to replace trans plug on trans harness clean control box and see common problem

1,515

If you found fluid on the garage flow there is obviously a leak. Sometimes when the car has turned off and pressure dispensates, the seals on the pan will begin leaking fluid - and it may collect in the suspension arms. Have your mechanic check the trans pan seal for leaks again.

12,415

The mechanic checked all the seals, and gaskets, the torque converter and anywhere oil could escape from. He didn't find anything wrong. He back flushed the cooler, as he said it sounded like it overheated. My wife has been driving it and we have not seen any drops of fluid on the garage floor. The leak appeared to be from the front of the transmission as that's where the splash pan was dripping the oil from. agk123, I don't quite understand pulling up the carpeting on the passenger side. Is there a controller for the transmission that can't be reached from underneath to check? If it does it again, I'll ask about the harness plug though.

12,415

I asked the mechanic about the plug under the carpet. He said he changed it out the first time he serviced the engine. It can be reached from under the car w/o tearing out the carpeting. That was not the issue. So far, since Feb. 24 when we got it back with no work done except clean out the cooler, no drops of oil on the floor and no issues with the transmission.