Making the Strat' sound better

Asked by Oct 26, 2009 at 06:25 PM about the Dodge Stratus

Hey is there anyone one that could help me out on this question: Im looking for a very simple thing you can do to customize the Stratus' sound. My friend took the box of the air filter off his jeep [very similar to my stratus' air filter] and after he did so, the jeep sounded like there was "something under the hood" and in actuality it was just a stock grand cherokee. I do have a muffler tip just to make it look like i do. But, im just looking for either some very cheap or just a common tweak i can do myself [free].

your friends jeep is nothing like your stratus. his engine is way bigger and sucks in way more air. making an intake make a lot of sound. you could try an aftermarket intake, it will give you a good sound. you could even try the always free "swiss cheesing your airbox". it sounds bad but if you do it right... swiss cheese the part that is still to be filtered, then it can give you some good sound. might pull in some hotter air from the engine bay though. you could go with an exhaust. check out muffler shops for prices. should be able to get something done for under $500.

Yeah true true. Me being a college student I was just looking for something easy and simple I could do. I could do the exhaust but 500+or- may be a little pricey at the moment. I'm not sure if I would want to swiss cheese the box also. Because once you do it, it would never be able to go back to original you know? Are there any other tweaks that you could do, not necessarily making it sound louder, but maybe increasing hp or anything in that area?

do you have a i-4 or V6? if u have a V6, i put a weapon r intake on it (which is forsale) and a flowmaster muffler 60series its gave it good sound for a stratus

V6. 2.7 L