Straightpipe-Power Gain???

25

Asked by Nov 09, 2010 at 04:47 PM about the Dodge Ram 2500

I have been debating whether to straight pipe my 6.7, take out just the muffler not the DPF. The main reason i want to do thid is for power gain and fuel economy towing. I was wondering if anyone has done this or any thing like it? Or if any one knows if it would help the power gain and fuel econ?
Thanks,
        Oscar

85

there wouldn't be a huge power gain just because of the DPF. When you delete the DPF is when you'll start to notice a bigger difference in power. Taking out the muffler would give you more of a better exhaust note, and a little bit of a power gain. It won't really make a big difference in mileage, like i said just because the DPF will still be there. You should really join dieselbombers.com. I have a 01 2500 cummins, and I'm a member of that site. It's free and there is a ton of information about everything diesel and there are a lot of people that will help you out if you ever have problems.

12,255

you wont notice any thing by just removing the muffler, what really kills every thing is the DPF, but removing any of these parts voids your warranty which for some people isnt cool. also another thing its also illegal to remove the DPF by law every diesel 07 and newer built from the factory to meet Tier 2 Bin 4 emissions regulations must have a DPF, really getting caught can net you hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines, but its very unlikely that youd get caught. because yes people do this modification all the time MBRP BDdiesel Banks etc all sell muffler and DPF delete kits for the 6.7 cummins you will get better power and fuel economy and any cummins engine sounds amazing striaght piped, also it will bring your EGTs way down. but one other thing is unless you know your inspector real good and your buddy buddy with him or you get a complete idiot, you prolly wont be able to pass the new diesel emissions and equipment tests (DPF and muffler are needed for these in new york atleast) but other than it being illegal and what not theres no other draw backs to doing this I want to be clear to any twats that are gonna jump on this and tell me im wrong that im speaking from what ive read about new emissions regulations, and new york states own inspection laws. Any way i hope this helps you

25

thank you for your help. i dont want to take out the dpf yet because i got the truck in march and it only has 9000mi on it so for now i will just take out the mufflerand when it goes over 100,000mi proably the dpf.

30

Can you delet any of the exhaust on 2014 6.7 without having to buy a turner

60

There are tuners that can be used without mods'. If you have the money, I would think they are worth it. I am so sick of all this talk and bs about improving mpg and more hp and warranty and it being legal and blah blah. Install a better fuel pump and filter system! That alone could save you thousands. Injectors aren't cheap, and will give a little better mpg. Good oil will pay for itself. Grease the poor thing, with the book and make sure you get it all. Do not expect wal mart to do it every time. You really need those big tires? The difference in tires could save as much as a $1500 computer. In half the mileage. Check the pressure in you tires... That can be the difference in 5 mpg. An expensive programmer is the way to go if that is what you want. Most research will send you to another advertisement or somebody that sells it. it is all about what you really want to spend. Most of it is an investment and should be looked at how long you will own the vehicle. If you will drive the next 100k in that truck. Might want to spend a few grand. The cost of ownership is way beyond what you figured! Any reduction helps. An example is 75000 miles on my dually. in that period I paid around $7000 in payments, $3600 in insurance, $1200 in tires, $2500 in front end, $400 in brakes, I also bought a tool box and a power invertor. Just to drive the truck 75,000 miles, cost a low average amount of 29,700!!!... That was calculating on todays prices, not the 4.00 gallon that I was paying. Did I mention I did all the work myself! That was a 2007 ram 3500 cab and chassis. Make your decision! It costs money either way. Go Rams! Cummins is the best! I am a dodge guy

60

Oh and if you delete it! Voids warranty and loses resale! It is crazy that almost every diesel owner wants it deleted! But all buyers assume you were part of the burn out crew! You pretty much lose the investment. So go with the long term. Or if you need a truck that smokes to get laid, make it smoke!

40

Don't listen to this looser he is obviously a liberal ,coming from a real diesel mechanic delet the truck you will not have any regrets,