I can not put my truck into gear from park

115

Asked by Feb 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM about the Chevrolet Silverado 1500

What year? You do have you foot on brake. Right? that could be the problem, NOT YOU, no offense, but the lock that prevents shifting from Park on brake petal. I need to look around and see what switch does that. Why I need year/ Some are same as brake light.

115

My truck is a 2007 and yes I press the brake. Please advise

Safety neutral, is it a floor shift?

No floor shift, answered my own question but it will take a second to tell you the fix but I think I know...just have to get a picture of where that safety neutral is on that make... be back....

Well crap, I am really in a rush, but I think you might be also, at the moment I can't research a quick fix, but try this if your mechanical at all,......The switch I'm talking the safety neutral which while cause you to not be able to shift out of park and should be on the drivers side of the tranny where the shift linkage attaches to it. So, first look under there and see if you see any thing unusual, like binding or a stupid stick or something dumb, try and wiggle the lingage around and also look around your brake maybe up towards the dash follow the brake pedal up the metal and look for anything that looks like a push in switch, The following tranny safety neutral, have you had any work done under the truck?? If so you might need to do the following and here is what you will need to readjust this, I really have to go and will be back later...need a 13mm socket and a 15 mm socket . You will also need a heat gun , the electrical plug is glued into the connectors and must be warmed up to be removed . these rarly go bad but they do get out of adjustment / or when removing pan techs are sometimes to bend the shift cable bracket and get them out of adjustment . Loosen the two 13mm bolts and move it slightly in both directions and see if this fixs you problem before you change it out. the safety neutral that is.. bye Hell dave get to work..G

130

I have a 2011 it is doing same thing

130

I have to rock the truck back and foreward push brake sometimes it comes out what wood that be

80

I put a brand new shift cable on my 1997 chevy pick up truck and a use steering Callum I can't get it to shift it's really hard but when I take the new cable off the transmission and shift from inside the cab and moves freely

80

I put a brand new shift cable on my 1997 chevy pick up truck and a use steering Callum I can't get it to shift it's really hard but when I take the new cable off the transmission and shift from inside the cab and moves freely when the cables off from the inside of the truck and hooked up underneath the truck to the transmission I can shift it freely from the transmission I have no idea what I did wrong

20

I have an 2003 chevy Sierra that is stuck in 1 gear auto transmission is it safe to have some one pull me home

20

Or what should I do

10

I have a 2006 silverado and just changed the break booster and it started doing that same thing what can it be

Victor the same thing happened to me...i changed brake booster and was able the change into gear at first but then was extremely hard to shift out of park..went back to check brake switch and seems to be better but will probably change it..how did u turn out

I am having the same issue in my 2009 Chevy 1500. I put my foot on the brake, try to shift into gear and it won't shift. This typically happens in the mornings, when I start it the first time in the day. The rest of the day seems to be fine. It also seems intermittent, as in some days it shifts normally in the mornings and other days it does not. A little research indicates a solenoid or the shift lock release I think is the other thing it comes up as. I looked at the brake pedal and found a different item, not sure what its called, towards the top of the brake. Would any of these be the problem? If so, which one (s) should I look at replacing?