Is it possible to tell if a 2007 - 2011 Lincoln Town Car has air suspension by the vin # ?... and if so how? Not one used car salesman EVER knows !Thanks

50

Asked by Mar 17, 2013 at 02:12 PM about the Lincoln Town Car

It would help me greatly if i could tell from the VIN # if a 2007 - 2011  Town Car has air suspension.

59,115

Most did. To be sure climb under the back of the car & look at the rear shocks. There will be small air lines, one each, plugged into each shock. HTH. -Jim

92,275

You can not tell if it has air shocks or any other feature from the VIN. The most that you can find out is the year, engine and model. - http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Numbers_(VIN_codes)/ Ford/VIN_Codes

50

If i were inspecting the car in person i'd know in 10 seconds if it had air suspension. I need to know if it's possible to tell from the VIN and if it is , how. This is the VIN from a loaded 07' Town Car for sale at a massive used car dealership here in Houston. VIN# 1LNHM82W27Y637793. The salesman says it does not have air suspension. For me to go and confirm that would be huge undertaking. I've been there before, it's a drive, the place is a madhouse, and the salesman sucks. I need a better way. Thanks, John

50

My local Lincoln dealership indicated the VIN WOULD show air suspension but after talking to 3 different people over 15 minutes no one could tell me how. You would think a MAJOR option like that would show up in the VIN. Maybe not. I'd just like a definitive answer. Thanks, John

26,035

yes you can tell from the VIN. If i take a VIN to the parts department they can pull up a list of every option on the vehicle. but you can just look under the back of the vehicle if you see a coil spring then it doesnt if you see a big ol' shock looking thing with a rubber bladder on it then its air suspension. or pop the trunk and look for the disable switch on the left hand side. if it is not present then there is no air suspension. But if you perfer to take it to the dealer go to the parts department with your VIN and have then pull it up. A compatent parts person can do this for you.

26,035

my mistake i did not catch that inpsecting the vehicle is not an option. so disregard that part of my answer.

50

It is an option. It's just a pain...... These dealerships and sales personel are generally uninformed and lazy. They just glance at an email with your specific wants and don't listen at all on the phone. It's very frustrating. Thanks

795

The original suspension should have been "air suspension", that's how the car comes. When the air bags eventually go bad, which they will, some people retro fit coil springs. That may be the case if the salesman says it doesn't have the air suspension.

50

That's possible, but i know he didn't look personally and the car has 32000 miles so a conversion is unlikely. At that dealership it's a whole process to get a car in front of you. I want to know from the VIN if possible so i could say to the dude, " It Came With It, Double Check For Me".... or " It Came With It, Was It Converted ".... Thanks

795

Like others have said, you will need to go to a dealer so they can run the vin #. Or, if you have access to OASIS, that's the data base that Ford uses for it's car information, the same that the dealers use. The vin # itself has no coding for suspension.

50

Oasis i'll check into that. So the VIN itself has no coding, they use the VIN in the database then that would tell them? Is that right? Thanks

26,035

you wont be able to access oasis with a persons who works for ford's login and password. its for dealer use. hell just give me the vin and ill take it to parts and tell you if it came from the factory with air suspension and be done with it. hows that sound?

50

I'll got a friend with a friend who works for Ford and in the future i may bug him but if you'd do this one i'd appreciate it. 1LNHM82W27Y637793 Thanks

26,035

that vehicle from the factory had air suspension. much appericated if you mark helpful.

50

I just talked to the salesman and though he swore he had looked it and it didn't have it, now i get double talk. Did the 07' have the suspension on off switch in the trunk? Thanks very much for your help.

795

Suspension on/off is on the left wall (drivers side) of the trunk. Says ON/OFF on the switch.

26,035

any year if it had air suspension has the on/off switch.

50

The salesdude said it didn't have the switch, but i can't tell if he actually looked or not. He got very evasive. Thanks all.

50

The salesdude said it didn't have the switch, but i doubt he looked. He got very evasive when i told him the VIN check said it had it. Who knows... Thanks all.

795

Look for a car somewhere else. This place doesn't sound like they have it together. At any given time, there are a thousand TC's for sale in the US. This site is good for finding cars and so is Auto Trader.

50

I'm watching many places in my area. Houston, but like i said, if you call and ask if the car has the air suspension they either don't know, or say yes and you still don't really know. I've heard that some 2011 Town Cars had it but so far i haven't found one. That's why i so badly wanted to be able to take the VIN and find out myself. Thanks

795

All LTC's come from the factory with air suspension, that's the way they are made. They also come with a load leveling system. Air suspension is not an option. LTC's have rear airbags for springs. The airbags last for roughly 200,000 miles and when they need to be replaced occasionally they are replaced with coil springs but I think that is a rare event. If your concerned that the airbags have been replaced with coil springs all you have to do is look at the rear axle and they stand out like a sore thumb. Now, if your looking for a car with front and rear air suspension like a low rider that's a totally different issue. In that case you would have to find a car with aftermarket suspension modifications. Does this clear up your thoughts about your issue?

50

I want the air suspension. I just don't have time to drive all over houston to look. I thought all came with it but wasn't sure although i'm pretty sure most of the 2011's, the last ones, didn't have it. I've looked at 3 2011's that didn't.

The air suspension isn't air shocks. TC's have standard shocks plus airbag springs. Previously, all TC's had airbag suspension springs but in 2011 they started omitting it from fleet vehicles. My guess is that they were either running out of parts for a discontinued car or they were just cutting corners. My dad bought a 2011 that had been a rental car. He found it had no air suspension and wondered why so I looked into it. Limo prep models and fleet sales often had it omitted. I would suspect that cars sold new to individuals had it because the literature states that it comes with the car.

Big shocker. I purchased a gorgeous low mileage 2010 TC Signature Limited 6 months ago. Drives smooth as can be. Took it for an oil change and told them to be careful to turn off the air suspension when they lifted it. Mechanic looked at me like I was some idiot, since there were regular coils and only a little cut out in the trunk where the switch should be.... Come to find out that Ford decided to omit this beloved feature on a lot of TC's in the final production years... Then again, the fact I did not even notice it after driving it for months, guess it's only a big deal if you constantly drive it with three people on the back and a trunk full of luggage.

795

That is an option installed by the factory called airbag delete and I found out the hard way when I bought one without checking. No switch, no compressor and no airbags. While the coil spring suspension it cheaper, Lincoln charged the same as the air suspension.