2001 pontiac sunfire 2.2L overheating

Asked by Jun 29, 2012 at 10:44 PM about the Pontiac Sunfire

my 2001 pontiac sunfire 2.2lbeen overheating for about 3 weeks now when it first happened we figured it to be the thermostat so i changed that and it ran fine for about two days,after it overheated again i took it to my private mechanic he replaced the water pump,the serpentine belt and the radiator cap along with bleeding the coolant. when i got it back it ran fine for a week then started over heating again, i took it to a proffesional and we changed the thermostat (the previous one was faulty) he couldnt find anything wrong other than the thermostat and even when we changed it out it still overheated and no coolant was running through the hoses but it was drinking the coolant like it was empty, we tried removing the thermostat and see if it would run through, it still didnt, when we looked at the oil to see if the coolant was leaking into the oil, there was no discoloration but it smelled like it was burnt and was steaming like a bad exhaust what can i do/ how do i doit?

10

my neon kinda did the same thing and it happen to be the heater core.... if so you can bypass it until winter hits.. and drive it ( thats what i did ) 8)

20

heatercore is not the problem my husband is just got done fixing mine as we speak it was the head gasket you need to replace the whole kit we found all my coolent in there mine kept disappering to well thats where it was changed it now it works great also replace the bolts when you do it the old ones will snap if you put them back in hopefully this helps you i was at the point of either selling mine or smashing it good thing it all worked out lol