1957 Limited Edition "Sport Bonneville" with bucket seats. Anyone ever hard of one or seen one?

5

Asked by Sep 18, 2011 at 10:04 AM about the Pontiac Bonneville

I've recently run across old advertising for a "Special Limited Edition Sports Bonneville  Convertible".  It had bucket seats in the ad.  Looking to confirm they actually made some.
Thanks,   dan@dansextremecarcrosswords.com

15

They made about 630 1957 Bonnevilles, all fuel injected, bucket seated convertibles that sold for about $5700.00. I saw a few back in the day, a very impressive car. I also know someone who owns 1 today.....Chaz

5

Chaz, thanks but here's where I have the question. I know about the 630 total production, but I don't believe any of the 630 had bucket seats. I've found out from another source that 2 "Sports Bonneville" prototypes were also made that did have buckets front and rear, but I've never seen one. Are you sure you've seen a '57 with buckets? Now in '58 Pontiac offered them on '58 Bonneville Converts only, not in the hardtop. Anyway, that "Sports" ad kind of threw me. Still trying to get to the bottom of it. Thanks, Dan

15

Hello Dan, Actually I don't recall if the ones I've seen had buckets . I saw an ad with the double buckets and I just assumed they all had them. Just when you think you knew all about them.........Chaz

5

Hey Chaz, I really don't know either just going off data I have access to. Thanks for your reply. If you like old cars, try out my crossword puzzles for free. You can work them online at : www.dansextremecarcrosswords.com

125

January 11, 1957, a limited-edition Custom Bonneville Convertible was released. It was in the Custom Star Chief sub-series.It was released as a one-to-a-dealer basis. It was limited to 630 production examles and two prototypes. The pre-production prototypes had four bucket seats and small trim differences. A fuel-injected V-8 was used in all of them.

5

I saw an ad as well, but it was very small. Had to get a magnifying glass to identify the buckets. I've talked to a Pontiac guru friend who has seen one. His guru buddy has seen the same one and knows where the other is. As the story goes, they made two prototype cars that were not among the 630 sold in '57, but they survived. Is your ad big enough to red well? If so, would you scan it and email it to me please? It's intersting that in '58 the Bonneville Convert. had a 4 bbl engine standard, yet could have the F.I. or 3 deuces , optional.

A couple years ago I saw a 1957 Bonneville Convertible with bucket seats front and rear and a console running the length of the tranny tunnel being restored in a body shop in Saginaw Michigan. I was told it was a concept car, maybe for the Grand Prix. It was sweet and I have never seen or heard of another. dmc46@att.net

I remember it well, when the Pontiac zone manager called and said they had a special limited edition fuel injection Pontiac Convertible and as a selected dealer we could have one of the 630 manufactured, I put it in service as my personal demonstrator. Why I remember it so well was because on the Rainy night in May 1957 late at night I drove my wife to the hospital for the delivery of our daughter "HEATHER"

hi you have been getting some wrong info in the summer of 1957 pontiac released 621 57 bonnevilles. one for each pontiac dealers in the country. they were all fuel injected convertibles 3 of them had 4 bucket seats. each of the three had things the other didn't. one was white, one was blue, and the third was red. in 1961 i had the white one. the blue one had 4 headlamps, and the red one had wire wheels. at one time i saw an advertisement showing the white one. if the ad. you have is the white one i would really love to have a copy of it. the blue one was in storage from the 60s untill the early 90s when it was sold. the red one was bought buy a cop in detroit in the 60s. he still had it in the late 70s. i saw the red one at a POCI show in the late 70s.

5

dhodges2000, thanks for the answer. Had not heard that previously. I thought all 621 were white and identical and the "Sport" version was in addition to the 621. Never heard of different colors nor the other items you referenced. I only saw a prototype picture in an ad. I know a person who said he saw a white one in a show. If you want a copy, I'll try to find it. Not certain how to connect. Dandy Dan

Like I said previously, I saw one of these 1957 Bonneville Convertibles with bucket seats front and rear about ten years ago being restored in a local restoration shop. If you want more info email me at DMC46@att.net

10

A friend of mine owns the Red 57 with wire wheels in Saginaw. It has 4 bucket seats and a full length console. Do you have any info on who these vehicles first went to....must have been GM executives, or used as show cars.

Does anyone know if the blue stripe and interior is more valuable than the red? The only info that I can find on this is that "most cars had the red flashes."