how does the 4 wheel drive work for the 2000 mitsubishi challenger x model?

10

Asked by Oct 23, 2015 at 02:59 PM about the Mitsubishi Montero Sport

you see onlike the rest models it doesnt have a shifter for 4 wheel drive or a
button but i was told it has 4wheel drive.

86,595

No shiftier or selector knob then no 4WD, it should have a selector that shows 2WD, 4WD then LOCK. HTH

86,595

see pic

10

I views on YouTube this guy was selling one and when I look up the specs on it it says 4wD a guy was telling me it automatically engages when it in certain terrain don't know how that goes what's your take on that tennisshoes

86,595

So if that is the case then you have AWD not true 4WD. Processors read wheel peed and tire slip and divert power to the tires that have the best possible traction at all times, it is not selectable 2WD to 4WD to 4WD LOW or Lock. Good for most all on road conditions but not so hot for off road.

10

so it cant tackle and up hill dirt track ? or a grassy areas thats wet from rain? i dont plan to go rock climbing it it but where we live it at times has some mild rough terrain the pic i posted is the worse case i would run into in our country

10

u thing an AWD can manage that in a challengers case?

86,595

Without 4WD LO never. It is strictly a road machine, it can handle gravel roads but the rough stuff is totally out. Keep it on the beaten path or you will wind up in shop with a ruined AWD system.

Best Answer
10

This is really stupid of Mitsubishi to make such a big Ass truck and made a version of it without 4wd now I have to go turn the guy down and go car shopping again

86,595

Sounds like you want a real 4X4, find a rig that has an actual lever that lets you select the mode, the next step if you can't find a lever type the electronic is the next step, but they do have problems shifting modes sometimes. Then there is Jeep QuadraDrive, a bit strange but it seems to work, in normal mode it is an AWD vehicle, but when you pull it into 4LO it becomes a low speed actual 4X4. HTH

10

Not really I love. Power I love speed but I prefer power u drive a 1997 Nissan regulus and that thing is a monster when 4 wheel is engaged it's street modified so it has the drop bumper and sick paint job but if I'm stuck or rain falls and I need to get up a hill and its grassy or dirt she can get me there with no sweat I don't go off roaring cause we don't have trails for that here much but there are places a car can't go and what ever my next ride is has to be able to get me out of it the guy who is selling The challenger offered to let me test drive it Monday so I'll take it on a trail and see how bad Ass this awd can be

10

Well I took the challenger I was talking about on the hill track and guess what it totally destroyed The track it seems to have a permanent 4wd where it's alway on it don't play so I'm buying it cause now I know it can handle the roads in my country sms

10

Just giving and update on the challenger x from Mitsubishi it has no shifter to go in 4 wheel like I stated above it engages 4wd not awd but full 4wd low automaticlly how I know cause I took the 2010 Toyota helix pickup truck we use at work and took it on the same ruff track I took my challeneger last week just to see what kinda off road system it has so I started off in two wheel the trick slipped so I backed down the hill engaged 4wd high and tried again it made it half way then slipped so I put the damn thing in 4wd low and it did the job I got up the trail which means my jeep would of needed the same low to make it up that trail

86,595

I'm happy you like the way the 4WD works, just remember it requires more maintenance than a conventional 4X4 fluid changes are a must do on these, just like the Jeep Quadradrive.

10

U mean regular oil changes and transmission fluid changes ?

86,595

Yep, plus the differentials and transfer case, check the owners manual some of these took special fluids.

10

Well it didn't come with the manual but I'll have to ask around