Starter won't turn over. I just get a clicking sound from the 2 relay/fuse blocks by the battery

Asked by Feb 21, 2015 at 02:38 PM about the Mercury Sable

Just bought this car a couple days ago and it's stupid cold here (was -15 when this
started). When I try to start the car, it gives a clicking sound from the fuse areas around
the battery. It seems to go from one box to the other. I've tried banging on the starter,
jiggling cables, etc

230

go out at night and have some one look under the hood with no light while u try to start it to see if thires an dwire sparking i would all so have the fule filter checked and add dry gas..... that would be my best guess

5,035

My first guess would be the battery is weak due to the cold. If you have jumper cables and a friend with a car handy....... If that fails, then the clicking noise could be the starter solenoid. Best way to check that would be to get a multimeter and put the postive probe on the hot wire on the starter solenoid and the negative proble on the starter case or any good ground. Have someone turn the ignition and if the meter reads 12 volts then it's the starter solenoid.

Yeah, I havnt gone as far as jumping the solenoid. Because I get multiple consistent clicking rather than the single click I've usually dealt with on solenoids. Forgot to mention, put in another new battery I had around and hooked up a jump starter. Pretty sure it's a security thing. The clicking is coming from the fuse/relay box. The engines not even engaging, so I doubt it's a dry gas situation.