Why is my 1984 Grand Marquis slightly listing?

665

Asked by May 24, 2014 at 12:47 PM about the Mercury Grand Marquis

The rear of my Grand Marquis has been leaning downward to the left (approx 1.5 inches) since I bought it. At first, I attributed the list to the usual slant roads have to have so rainwater can flow off. That wasn't the case, however.

My next guess was that the 30 year old springs may simply have become soft with age, so I had all of them replaced (front and rear) with OEM specification Moog coils and installed new shock absorbers, too, (and what a good idea that was since the old ones were suffering a bad case of rustout).

The new springs and shocks have made the Merc ride and handle wonderfully comfortable again, but the list is still there. I had the frame checked, too, but it's not bent or otherwise deformed.

Now what? Good ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

16,275

springs,shocks and checked mounts and frame- you covered everything I was ready to ask you to check. could it just be an optical illusion? I am not kidding! I had a Lincoln that I swore was closer to the ground on the left back corner,I bounced it re: shocks,inspected mounts,springs and everything was great. While standing in the driveway with a bud I asked him if he saw a difference and he said "a bit" and went over and stood on the bumper and jumped off. I told him I'd already checked all that. Guess what? He went to his truck and got a tape measure - measured left bottom fender to ground then right bottom fender to the ground and they were (within a tad) the same. we stepped back,looked,agreed that it looked like it slanted but the tape didn't lie. Laughed,shook our heads,finished our beer and forgot about. it.