My 2006 f350 start fine and runs fine, but after running for about and hour and I turn it off, it won't start up right away. I have to crank the engine for about a minute or so, and it might start

Asked by Jan 26, 2015 at 06:29 PM about the Ford F-350

If I let sit for about 30 minutes then it will
start fine. Any ideas what it could be the
problem?

8,550

Please say the engine and fuel type, verify spark and fuel pressure are good.

8,550

please state prior work performed, filters replaced, and have tests run while it is acting up. verify inertia switch and fuel pump are not affected. You can hear fuel pump run? You are switched to either tank? or just when on one tank?

Thanks for the answer Mark. WELL I Took It To Dealer and it did acted up and they were able to run some test. They are telling me it could be a fuel injector, which they just replace, or some plugs in the same area, which I was very upset they didn't replace this plugs when they replaced injectors

8,550

They already replaced injector(s) ? They suspect spark plugs ? I am concerned we still do not know what engine. Or what those test results are............It does sorta sound to me like they were calling it a fuel {delivery} problem with (clogged) ? or (sticky) injector function? but also suspect the set of plugs that is in there ? It does sound to me like their diagnosis is still incomplete, and or they felt limited to what they are empowered to do. I suspect you told them to find the cause and correct it or advise if it is intermittant ? Do I have that right ?

They are saying it is some sort of a fuel plug, inside the same area of the fuel injectors. The price To Replace. This fuel plugd is 800. This doesn't include price of parts. Each plug is about 30 each

8,550

GLOW PLUGS ? GLOW PLUG TIMER ?............That makes me suspect the answer to my first question was 7.3L, diesel, is THAT correct ?

8,550

It is normally a part of planned maintenance to replace glow plugs after time and miles. vehicles that are diesel equipped, but shut off like a car at every stop can use their glow plug function so much, it increases their intervals for replacement. It can be unwise to wait on this interval because the glow plug can be damaged after much hard starting. The result can be removal of the head can become necessary after one or more break and drop. It is no problem when they just go inop on the newer ones. But the thermal time and control parts in use are normally done at the same time. It is costly to play with diesels, better to compare your usage to the preventative maintenance schedule and decide how to prevent these problems if you can. Having MFR sponsored ESP extended coverage is cheaper than paying the whole repair bill each time when it gets a chance to break between maintenance services.

Thanks for the info.

8,550

I hope we were discussing the same vehicle with the same equipment since others may read this later trying to find what causes their similar symptom. I trust I was specific, feel free to update and let us know how it is going. After you hear more from your technician? things could still develop, and the engine option be more clearly defined for yours.

I have a 2006 f350 6.0 dully

8,550

Thanks bud, I googled 06 6.0L f350 engine. It is still called a power stroke and has a garrett turbo charger. There are photos there where they tear them down for access. I believe you may be referring to the plugs you see in the pic with intake removed depicting one per cylinder in the valley, on each head. if you saw them would you recognize them? looks like an all day sukker. They lift the rear of the vehicle to expose underhood access when the truck sits high. There have been many in past years as this evolved into what it is. And much engineering involvement to reduce part replacement. Parts cost was rising dramatically with the HP oil fired injectors when I was around them.

8,550

I remember issues with wires and teardowns to access them. The harness was part of the gasket in that set of engines. It would soften and split and Navistar/ Ford engineering had us putting different ones in in those days.

Best Answer Mark helpful