2004 f-250 overheated, now starter wont turn motor over

5

Asked by Sep 14, 2012 at 05:59 PM about the Ford F-250

How badly did it over heat? Just a little? The reason I ask is that if it got really, REALLY hot and you drove it home or whatever, it could have gotten so hot that once you turned it off it seized. Worst case scenario there. Hopefully that is not what happened to you, if so you are talking major damage. But if it only got a little hot, you didn't say, not so bad. Try to see if you can turn the engine by putting a big breaker bar and proper size socket on the bolt on the harmonic balancer, the big pulley on the end of the crankshaft, low on the engine and in the middle. See if the engine moves even a little Try that and get back to me (us) here maybe we can help

5

Just found out the possible problem was the EGR cooler failed, temp got hot, but not quite the red zone for about 2 miles, pulled over to add water, drove fine after that, but the next morning would not turn over, went underneath to take a look and water was draping out of the exhaust manifold on the passenger side towards the rear, hoping this is the case, a $2,500 fix if I'm lucky

If it didn't even get in to the "red" and for only 2 miles, it should not have blown the head gasket which is what you seem to be describing. Extreme heat only will do that, and possibly warp the head. You may get lucky and not have major damage like that. and even with a blown gasket and/or warped head it should move, if not start. BUT If coolant got into the combustion chamber, that will not compress and if both valves happen to be closed it will not move, rotate. Can you hear it trying to turn over? Or is the starter not trying?

5

The starter does engage but will not turn the motor, it sounds exactly what you described, now waiting on a call from the mechanic, hoping it is just the EGR cooler

Yep. It may be that there is coolant in the combustion chamber and both valves are closed. That will 'freeze' the engine so that it will not move at all. But if that is the case, remove the spark plug (yeah, I know it's impossible to know which cylinder this happened in but removing one plug at a time and then try to start, well even not start but at least get the engine to turn over it will purge the coolant out the spark plug hole. You may get lucky and hit the first cylinder you try, or the story of my life will be #8. Or take all of them out and depending on the age of the spark plugs just put new ones in all, since you have them out anyway. But these days, if you have the original Motorcraft factory plugs your 8 year old truck is just about due for new ones anyway. The plugs they make now last a long, long time. I recommend mid-grade plugs, those plugs with 4 spark receptors are a waste of money, they do not improve performance, $15 each plugs I mean. But there is the other end of this spectrum: don't buy 99 cent ones either. On a tangent: some gasoline has detergent in it. Some brands do not. Use detergent gasoline.

145

From what he described, I'd guess its a 6.0L diesel and if it is, the best thing i can reccomend is get rid of it or get an EGR delete kit and SCT tuner for starters, there's sooo many problems with 6.0's but if you fix em they're powerhouses.

I couldn't agree more. Porterdog, listen to Brian, his advice is better than my long winded essay, I was trying to explain a possible scenario. If interested, see my post about gasoline

10

Your question: "2004 ford f250 hd truck over heated now it won't start water reservoir crack leaked out water replace it but now truck won't start"it does turn over just find I sprayed starting Fluid but won't start