why will mt truck not turn over?

5

Asked by Aug 05, 2015 at 08:28 PM about the Ford F-150

i was given an 1989 f150 5.0 4spd that had been sitting for a long time. wouldnt do
anything when turning the key so i replaced the battery, solenoid, ignition lock cylinder,
ignition switch, made contact from positive post to 's" wire and the engine turned over. im
getting power to everything. what else could cause it not to turn over.

17,210

If the engine will not spin when the key is turned to the start position then check with a multi meter power is getting to the starter when the key is turned to the start position. If you are reading twelve volts with a new battery then suspect a ground problem somewhere. Check backward for bad connections to the battery. Also remove the starter from the vehicle and bring it to a place like Autozone. They will test it for free.

5

ok ive never had to replace a starter, it has the one cable running to the solenoid, should there be a ground wire attaching it to the frame or negative battery post. or does the solenoid ground its self out. i will take it off and have it checked. also there is a green wire branching off from the alternator wiring that i assumed would go on the solenoid as well is correct or should this go directly to the battery ground or frame?

17,210

When you say you replaced the solenoid, do you mean the starter relay bolted to the fenderwell? If you have a relay on the fenderwell and absolutely nothing happens when you turn the key check and make sure ignition feed wire (push on connector) usually on the top of the relay is making good connection.

5

yes that is what im talking about, i youtubed it and i believe i have it set up right, i took the starter off and it checked out bad so i replaced but im still not getting any thing, the guy who give it to me said his uncle rigged it to start without a key but he took the secret to his grave smh. so im thinking it may have something to do with the steering column or wiring, i took the shrouds off of the column and the linkage from the key cylinder is still working right, i checked my grounds. replaced every ignition component, i just dont know where to look next, do 4 spds have a neutral or clutch switch that may keep it from starting or at least turning over.?

17,210

Well, I'm confused. If the starter tested bad, then all the rigging in the world in not going to make it good. Try removing the ignition feed wire from the relay. Have someone turn the ignition to the start position and check for current using a multi meter. If no current, begin checking backward toward the column on that one wire for a jury rig. Without someone sticking their head under the hood and looking for what suppose to be there; or asking "what the hell is this for and where is it going" it's going to be difficult to point you in the right direction. An any rate you are going to have to get power to the relay from the ignition feed before the starter will operate.

17,210

If pawpaw bypassed the neutral safety switch because it was bad you would see a couple of things. First, you would have two dangling wires or a push button switch installed somewhere near the steering wheel or on the dash. Look for a hardware store momentary switch (normally off) stuck into the dash somewhere. Under the hood look for a conspicuous wire connection to something which has a continuous power supply, even with the ignition off. Most use the connection on the alternator as it is normally easy to get to, or a jury rig connection directly to the positive side of the battery. If paw paw was worth his salt he would have installed an inline fuse connector in the line to prevent the possibility of a fire. Checking the net would probably reveal dozen of videos on the bypass procedure. While surfing find the video on how to check the safety switch with a multi-meter. It is simple. That could be your problem in the first place. But with a paw paw workaround all bets are off.